No cabin airflow after short drive

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 04:22 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition Wagon

Heat or A/C works well for a short time. Then fans make a lot of noise but almost no
airflow coming out. Does not matter what mode, defrost, foot or dash, I can feel the
conditioned air is the correct temperature, I'm just not getting any airflow.

98,195

Change the cabin air filter - RockAuto.com shows six of them - - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOxtAgUuKE

20,605

the racket is the blower going bonkers after the bearings heat up and its not really spinning much at all ,just rattleing to anoy you

98,195

That could be the cause Jimmy. It is old enough to wear out the bushings. Probably some leaves and branches in there too.

More back ground This has been going on since last June. When the car is started cold the fans and heat or AC work normal. After ten to 15 mins, airflow drops way off. Seems like more of a ducting then a fan problem. Are there some valves in the ductwork out of position? Where's the cabin air filter? Behind glove box?

98,195

The video in the first post shows how to change the filter. --- It could be a problem with the blend doors. Those are the vacuum operated devices that send air in various areas. There should be one door that recirculates cabin air or allows outside air to enter. Maybe you have something like a squirrel nest blocking the ducts. --- When you say the fan makes a lot of noise, does it sound like it's wobbling or is it just spinning and not pushing air?

Thanks Awesome The fan sounds OK, I think I'm hearing air noise. Ever heard of old vacuum lines collapsing on these cars?

98,195

Usually the vacuum hoses get brittle and crack. Sometimes they leak more when cold or hot. It depends on the type of hose,the size, the radius of the bend and the vacuum.

67,485

Sounds like your evaporator core is freezing up & blocking the airflow. Your A/C compressor is supposed to cycle on & off to maintain the proper temperature. Cool enough to keep you comfortable but not letting things freeze up. If you have a bad pressure switch your A/C compressor will run continuously causing freeze up which will block the airflow. Next time this happens keep the engine running & pop the hood. See if any hoses, near the firewall, have frost on them. If so, that's what's going on. HTH. -Jim