MY 2001 Subaru outback won't start

Asked by Mar 06, 2015 at 11:13 AM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

I went out early this morning and started my outback lt started up just fine I let it warm
up then I shut it off and went back out about 20 minutes later and it would not start up,
the horn works when i push it but the headlights won't come on and i also noticed that
my clock was losing time I added some water to the battery and charged it up but it
still won't start I alos noticed that when i turn the key on the tech will go up and done
like crazy  the battery was very low on water in three or four of the cells there is not
enough juice to even turn over the starter and it also makes a humming noise when i
turn the key pon

I also tried starting it with a battery charger on the start option no luck at all i am now charguing it on the 20 amp fast charge but do not think it will help

How old is the battery? How did you charge the battery and what did you charge it with? When you turn the key, do you hear a kind of "clicking" noise? How what was the temperature when you started it this morning? How long has it been since you started it last? How long since the last oil change? There could be many explanations as to why your vehicle won't start. It really just depends on the age and mileage of the vehicle and how well it has been taken care of in that time.

The battery is old it came with the car I brought it two years ago, I was trying to find the date on it but can't find it,it is about 10 degrees out , i drove it yesterday but did notice it was getting harder to start , i changed the oil two months ago and I also noticed that the clock was losing time I would set it to the correct time but then noticed that it was not the correct time , I am chargeing the battery now and will see what happens thanks for your input

I have a craftsman battery charger with all the gizmos paid about $80.00 for it

I also noticed the the techometer would go up and down when i turn the key on

and oh yeah I did put in a new knock sensor two days ago, not sure if that would make a difference

The battery was made in Jan of 2011 I would say it is time for a new one i just saw the date on the side of the battery

I just put a new battery in and it cranked over but would not start I think my gas line may be frozen put some dry gas in and will try again in a little while

Okay. So, it sounds like the battery was the problem. Now, the fact that it is now 10 degrees out, I am honestly surprised that YOUR lines aren't frozen so that could definately be a big part of the problem.

I will try again in a few minutes , I also have my positvre battery cales are just bare wire at the ends the previous owner must have replace them in the past Do you know what size lug ends i should get for these I currently have them press together and tighting down on a regular terminal connection I had to buy an oversize one so i could get both cables under the part that screws down to hold the cables the terminal itself is tighting down good and tight on the terminal itself

ok i let the Dry gas do it's thing and the car still won't start I am trying to get the fuel pump relay from out under the dash board does anyone have a tip on how to get this out I was going to swap it out with the blower motor relay I have the blower motor relay connection unplugged but can't get my hands in there to get the fuel pump relay connection

UPDATE I remove the metal plate that is right under the steering wheel and it makes it a lot easier to get at the connector

OK I switched out the relays and they are fine , BUT after doing a little more research i saw that I should NOT have giving it gas as soon as I tuned the key I just let the pump run a few seconds then cranked it over and it started right up,without stepping on the gas. I also have to change my Engine coolant temperature sensor just waiting for a little warmer weather it is about 15 degrees out right now I will also do the thermostat at the same time that way i can drain the coolant out so that i won't make a big mess when i do the sensor