removing the Engine Coolent Temperature Sensor on a 2001 Sabru Outback

Keith Cahalan

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 01:17 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

I am replacing my Engine CoolentTemperature sensor on my outback 2.5 engine is
there an easy way to get the old sensor out I can't seem to fit the deepwell socket on
there  and am also having trouble getting a box end wrench on it
Thanks for any tips

Keith Cahalan
765 option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=63

Keith Cahalan

the above pics are for the 2;2 engine I will check mine out and maybe it is the same procedure

Keith Cahalan

I was going to try to do it without draining the coolent but am going to be changing the coolent next week along with the Thermostat so maybe I will wait till then , but any ideas are still welcome

I've not done this on either of my foresters yet.. that is a really nice write up but like you said, 2.2. If you can find that on then you'll be golden. If the job is similar to the write up you posted, you can try to fenagle a deep socket on and then get a 3"-6" angle tip extension in there, then you might have a chance. If you find a write up or find a good solution, I'd love to hear about it for whenever I (or others) come to this problem. Best regards,

Keith Cahalan

I do have an angle tip for my socket wrench still a little too tight in there I may remove the hose that goes to the PCV valve and that should give me more room I did it last year but may have had a shorter socket I am planning on tackeling it this coming week I am getting a new thremostat so may just drain out the fluid and go from there I will keep you posted. The deep well socket is just a little too long I have thought about cutting it down a little bit but will have I will think about that or moving the two big wiring harnesses under the air duct out of the way

Keith Cahalan

The deep well socket just won't fit in the area to get it on the sensor

Keith Cahalan

OK what i did was take off the air filter unit and then removed the hose that goes into the top of the engoine from the PVC valve and that way i had enough room to get my deep well socket on the ECT, just be careful to keep the socket straight or you will break off the plastic cap that protects the terminals on the sensor itself , I did not drain the rediator because it still snowing here and I lost about a quart of antifreeze and it was very messy I first remobved the old ect before i took off the black hose I did not want to get any antifreeze in the hole where the hose was , (this is when i broke the cap on the OLD ect senser)

nice info Kinker. Glad you got it back.

Keith Cahalan

excuse my bad spelling on my post , i have a habit of sending it than PROOFREADING it

haha.. I tend to overlook that kind of thing when the concept is more important than spelling/grammar. You did it again though with your "correction". ;) Thanks for hangin out and giving people something helpful for later. Later

I've done this job a few dozen times over the years, but not lately enough to remember the socket used...but it's pretty easy. Note that you'll lose only a cup or so of coolant...not a quart. To prevent even a minor mess just have the new sensor ready to finger start upon removal. You may then only lose a few ounces. Don't overtighten the new sensor as it's going into aluminum.