01 Subaru Outback with a 2.5, Running rough on start, stalling at times, acting like there is no gas pedal or not getting gas.

140

Asked by Oct 23, 2014 at 11:09 AM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

Changed, plugs, wires, coil, O2 sensor, fuel filter, punched the cats out, throttle
position sensor, Not throwing any codes, one cylinder is running lean, Every time I slow
down, sometimes I have to pump the gas to get going and it will go, other times I touch
the gas and it acts like there is a dead spot on the throttle, car will die and sometimes
starts right back up, other times it just turns over and wont start but will eventually start
to go. At higher RPMS seems to run good except at a hill it seems like it is skipping.
MPG has decreased dramatically. I have also done the dry gas to see if it was water,
fuel injection cleaner. I am just at a loss here! Garages do not even seem to know!
HELP PLEASE!!

65,785

First check fuel pressure to rule out fuel pump,then if fuel pressure is good,do a compression check on all the cylinder,s,i think you will find one of these to be your problem.

140

If one of the cylinders is bad what type of job is that? New motor?

140

How do I check fuel pressure without bringing it to a garage? I have stuck so much money into this thing in the past week I am just broke from it now. What should the pressure be?

65,785

No ,you can have head rebuilt,or replace with new one.

65,785

You can rent a tool at autozone or most of the common auto store,s..you pay for it,but can bring it back,and get your money back,it,s called loan a tool,it is simple to do it your self,just remove one spark plug at a time,and screw pressure guage in turn over motor,and pressure will read on the guage,It should read atleast 150 pound,s and hold it with out dropping,if it drop,s you have found the bad cylinder,and or valve in your case.

Fuel pressure 34 psi +/- 5

140

I also meant to mention I do have oil in three of the four spark plugs, what can this mean?

65,785

Im sorry i thought you ment check comppresion check,but fuel can be done all so,and Fordnut is correct,on the fuel pressure reading.

65,785

Oil around plug,mean,s bad valve cover gasket,and could be your issue,not firing,and arcing,and can foul plug,s,,i would look into this first,before i did the other,s.

65,785

If oil is in the plug,it could be bad ring,s,,but you would see lot,s of black smoke if this was issue.

140

No black smoke at all. I do not understand that it only does it in low RPM's for the most part except hills and not all the time on hills. So frustrated and not being able to get to work is driving me insane! Just need a miracle cure with out spending my last dime on it to get it fixed...

65,785

Fix the valve cover issue,maybe all that is wrong,as i said above,but if this don,t fix it,you will more than likely have to rebuild head,,Good luck

Wouldn't it be white/.blueish tint smoke TST? That's oil, black smoke is unburnt fuel...correct me if that's wrong

65,785

You are correct,but im colored blind any way fordnut,,,,lmbo

995

I think you should also change the valve cover gasket you should also get the covers that go over the spark plugs, in the gasket kit, make sure you put these on you can do the job yourself if you are a little bit handy I did mine this past summer. You should also check your sir filter if it is dirty that would cause some of the things you are seeing

140

Okay so the problem was this: A vent was broke on my sending unit, which allowed dirt (from traveling the dirt roads) into my gas tank and water from all the rain we have been having. Flushed the tank, changed sending unit and fuel pump and not trouble now! I am so happy, but wish the garage had listened to me BEFORE making me spend all this extra money on things it was not! Yes we need to change the valve cover gaskets, and that will get done.Thank You for all the help everyone!!!

10

Ok.. I'm having the same exact problems with my car. 01 Subaru outback. Automatic. I was sitting still picking up my husband. It was idiling and just died. It started back for about 2 seconds and as soon as I went to put it back in drive it died again. As far as the gas issues you had mine does the same thing but never died until this incident. We put a new crank sensor in it and a new coil. Any suggestions.?

Upon reading and researching, I am seeing a common issue with fuel pump cap and O-ring and causing misfire codes, O2 Sensor codes, etc. Anyone else concur?

20

PLEASE HELP..... I have a 2001 Subaru Outback I just replaced spark plugs,wires,ignition pk, and a brand new fuel pump...My car at 1st would stall when I would put it on drive engine light appeared and codes read P0303 so changed plugs an wires first then showing same code so replaced ignition pk. car will run for art a block then start sputtering and has no acceleration sounds and shakes has same codes still an some more codes replaced fuel pump and still nothing sent it to Subaru for diagnostic and they same its the stuff I have already replaced...PS..Subaru dealer told me it can be that none of the NEW parts I just put in are Subaru Brand??? Does anyone forsure tell me if thats a true statement!!! So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate any info....

995

when you replaced the fuel pump did you replace the whole sending unit my car was doing the exact same thing and it was the sending unit doing it , it had a hairline crack on the cap the garage tried tightening up the cap but finally had to put in a new sending unit . these cost around $225.00 but you can put it in yourself . it is located under the back seat very easy to do > I too just replaced the fuel pump itself but it was the sending unit

19,875

l8dybugg,. Trying to eliminate each issue in a trial and error fashion doesn't work. Don't know how much you want to keep your car and what condition it is, but, if I were you, and you want to keep your car,. I would find another garage who can professionally diagnose what's going on and spend money on that. The dealership should have been able to help you and merely telling you that you should have used brand new "Subaru" parts is not particularly helpful. The only case I've heard is that you should always use a genuine Subaru thermostat and water pump. Sure, the genuine parts are always preferred, but, I don't think they are required for all parts. The thermostat and the water pump are exceptions since they allow for better cooling and circulation. As long as you are using an equivalent spark plugs and other electronic gear , you should be fine.How many miles on your car, I imagine you think it's worth saving. interestingly sad. Get a friend to refer you to one of their mechanics. If you lived in LA, I'd refer you to my mechanic. If you do, send me a private message and I'll reply to you. Good luck.

check your oressure in your cooling system