Can the SOHC engine & transmission be swapped from an Outback and a Forester?

40

Asked by Jun 12, 2016 at 03:16 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

26,745

Are they both automatic transmissions cars?

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

Yes they r both 2000 automatics.

7,615

Mind if I ask, what happened? can you just drive the donor vehicle? Anywho, check opposedforces and the date ranges that the transmissions range (check the code on your trans with the code on the trans you want to swap in and compare all of that on O.F.). I just bought an EJ253 (from an 01 outback) engine to put into one of my Foresters when I get ready to do head gaskets. Most of that 99-04/05 range will interchange as a long block. Depending on the MAP/MAF sensor setup - you could drop the whole engine in or have to swap your current intake over. Also EGR (MUST check EGR or be able to tap head if you need to swap it). Just cuz it's a 4EAT doesn't mean it'll swap.. you also have to look at the gearing in the rear end and make sure they match or you'll have to swap the rear diff (back end of the car) - pretty sure on that anyway, keep searching. Do some reading, err.. lots of reading and get comfortable with what to look for. Are you going to do any preventive maintenance while they're out?

40

My Outback body has many dents in fenders, 160K miles and runs good, while the Forester is in pretty good shape w/255k overheating engine - Thanks for all the advice and I will check all the codes b4 going any further - What do u mean by "compare all of that on O.F."? - I'm trying to do enough searching to have my answers b4 making the final swap and realizing there is a lot to know - "preventive maintenance while they're out?" meaning fluid change or more?

7,615

OpposedForces (O.F.); Preventive maint.. reseal oil pump and check the screws in the backing plate (maybe even check internal tolerance on the gears), replace as many seals as possible unless they're spotless (rear main is typically in great shape). I just bought $1300 in parts last night for two foresters and one festiva. I'll be doing head gaskets at my buddy's house. It came out to 508 per engine from RockAuto (RA) with everything I bought. It's quite literally everything on RA minus pistons and rings if I find that one needs to be bored over (and internal bearings, etc). I just picked up an EJ253 with new head bolts and head gaskets (heads decked) and maybe some other work for 450 which is pretty stellar imo. You're on the right path, sorry for my confusing abbreviations. 160k - when was your timing belt done / have you checked it for any cracking, etc? My 03 is at 176k and 04 at 186k so I'm just going to put new TB's and gaskets in. And I think.. one of the gurus on the forum talked about doing the very least of lapping your valves if you do the Head Gaskets HG's. From what I've read, if you go with RA, don't buy the ITM, go DNJ. And there's also 5% off coupons for RA.

40

Thanks much for the details - As important as it is to do a job right, this makes me realize how much is involved - Much appreciated ;-)

7,615

No problem. You can also check out some cool info (and video) here: https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gaskets- problems-explained-part-ii/

7,580

Right on, Walth. Mark, do they have to be the same color too?

7,615

You know EDD, come to think of it, I would check to see if that trans WILL swap and keep it (and check the gearing stuff too). But for now, just swap the engine IMO and if you start having shift shock issues or whatever, then change it. You might do a drain and fill on the OB trans (that way it has clean fluid in the right places before you let it sit) and then move on to the swapping. Also, your OB might have different sensors on the intake compared to the Fozz. Simple solution, put the Fozz intake back on when you install the OB engine. I'm going to have to do that with the EJ253 01 OB engine in my 03/04 fozz. Funny that my 03 is non EGR and my 04 IS.

7,580

Subie introduced "PZEV"-level emissions in 2004 Legs in CA and other low-emissions States. Seems like that coincided with the Forester EGR variance you see. Interesting. Those 2004-2005 PZEV emissions can be a nightmare when any of their five (!) O2 sensors go awry....

7,615

yikes!! ha, what's it got, 5 O2 sensors and 4-6 catalytic converters? Either way, that's intense engineering...I was watching a video a few weeks ago about cat-con placement and heat and a little about how they work, etc. pretty neat but man can they be expensive.

26,745

Hey, what about the newer cars from 2010 forward with PZEV? Are they as complicated?

7,580

2006+ are simpler.