2000 Subaru Outback Bad Timing Belt Install

5

Asked by May 02, 2015 at 11:20 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

When my Barn Yard Mechanic Replaced my timing belt on my 2000 Subaru Outback. He
never lined up the white line on the timing belt with the crankshaft, only lining up the
cams. The car runs a little ruff , not as good as when I dropped it off. I was told that the
white line is to line up the crank shaft and to forget about any other marks on the belt.Do I
need to redo ?

8,160

What were you lookin for exactly in the barn yard ? a goose?

8,160

You compare to the correct drawing in the manual, or take it to a dairy.

8,160

Then you can have a cow the whole time.

8,160

When the cam wheels are at their set spot, enough revolutions have taken place for the belt stripes to align with them, The crankshaft gear lines up with a notch on the engine front cover behind it viewed from the front standing just towards the passenger side of the hood latch, you see it very well. difficult to describe so pics and drawings from the manual help. you must remove the covers for access. Then theprocedure can begin of inspecting all the parts for wear and problems of failing or soon to fail. a car that age may need a full kit to complete the job, the waterpump replaced with a subaru part is best, same with the thermostat. make sure the head gaskets are already updated. (or back dated) depends how you think about it. The tensioner is gas filled and requires a few tools and a reset procedure to compress and retain for reassembly. Some books skip around so be very attentive to what you read and what pics go with your make model year, and engine.

8,160

There are other engine settings and indicators for other purposes, do not confuse them with things you think that are not in the timing belt replacement drawings and procedure. Have a tech who has experience do it? or one who does engine work research and correct it. partsthat seem ok may spin at very high rpm making them more likely to be needed during this job if they were not new last job.

8,160

do everything to avoid overheat while it is apart, once. Replace belts now if they show wear. things you leave undone 'on the cheap' will fail before you need to repeat the labor, do them now. save several investments of time and worry as well as towing.

975

I know when I did the timing belts i had the water pump, the pulleys and the cam shaft seals and the serpentine belt replaced at the same time

8,160

You can stop repeat repairs by getting the subaru parts that fit and function best for your needs at an independent subaru repair shop. I helped a friend figure out a very expensive problem, ended up with fewer parts, subaru parts, reseal corrections, and procedure to follow different from the haynes manual or subaru info. costs less, less filling, tasted great.

8,160

we did use a china pump and it likes to ooze, I think the subaru part is much better made, you can tell just by putting the two side by side on the bench for comparison. If I was able to legally drive at the time I would have made just one more return and just one more purchase. research also found an update for the 2.5L we were working on and updated the tensioner boss for that engine. Was able to find subaru genuine parts online and get the piece and different bolts. As far as cylinder head bolts, the originals went back in on recommendation from the tech at the subaru specialist. saved $60 right there.

8,160

It's like a japanese mercedes, you do it at the right time, you do everything recommended, you do it the way they say, you replace everything they say regardless, and you dont have to worry touch it tow it or fret about it. just watch fluids and change oil till next major repair. and that is cheaper.

8,160

You can swing the engine left and right for access, but removing it was best for access to clean and inspect, couldnt bend over or crouch or stand on the cement for over an hour and had to clean the engine bay from oil leakage. removal made it accessible over a week and a half's time of an hour here and an hour there while taking medication and going to the doctor. the car worked great after that and she still hates me.

18,885

Ironman60 - are any of these suggestions helping you , how about a little feedback? My advice to you is this; before damaging your engine and valves, consider the possibility that your friend is not qualified to do this job and you'd be better off taking your car to an independent garage where a professional can do this right and get you back on the road with your car working perfectly. Yes, it's not as cheap, but, you've got an investment in the car. Just how long has this person been puttering around trying to get this done?

975

some things are better left to a professional mechanic. i do a lot of my own work but if it is someone else car and if it is something I have not done with my own vehicles I would suggest they go to a mechanic ( i never get paid for doing things it is usually for a relative or friend and never guarantee my work and they know this up front sometime I get over my head and have to call a garage to come get it and repair it

18,885

Kinker, so, you agree with my assessment?

8,160

Are any of these suggestions saying the exact same thing from beginning to end? are they alluding to just that ? Is that not the thing for a person who is not a technician to conclude after you give them step by step, place for parts, where to ask, and where to look it up? No they dont want to go out to the barn and jab a screwdriver in some guys belly. they want to pay you !

975

Yes i do mark

8,160

does tommy know about this?

5

Redone runs fine. Easy Job if someone would have followed my instruction and lined the crank shaft up correctly with the timing mark the first time. Thanks for all the feedback.

8,160

Hence the 4th post. and the suggestions to the book references. The crank gear points at the engine front cover when the belt and the cam wheels are all at their places. They were like that in the 1980's when people brought them to the ford dealer because they could not find anyone, we had to do them there. Same designers all this time. after you roll several revolutions it ends back at the same place. The painted line wears off and rechecking, you can still see the ones for the cam wheels .For those who read this after us. Good work.

Best Answer
8,160

Now put all the tools back where you took them from, thank you.