Buying a used Subaru

Asked by Oct 10, 2016 at 11:20 AM about the 2000 Subaru Outback Limited

Is it stupid to buy a used Subaru with 199000 miles
on it? It's a 2000 Subaru Outback limited 4D with
199000 miles on it already. They said they've kept
up well on maintenance and that the engine was
replaced last year. They're asking $2600 for it right
now.

16,415

Yes, it is. Not that the Subaru is a bad car, but anything with 200K miles on it is soon to become a serious money pit. The replacement engine makes it better, but you don't know how many miles were on it, it could have come from another high-mileage vehicle. Only believe the owner's who claim it was well maintained when they have impeccable receipts and paper records.

210,845

A new engine or used? How are the tires and brakes? I wouldn't but it, but if you really want it, pay no more than $2K for it. And have some extra money around for repairs.

83,855

I would stay away form the car, its going to be a money pit, save for a better car !

31,625

D O N 'T D O I T!!!

14,165

New engine? Ask them to show you the receipt for the work that was done. Who did it and was it a "replacement or remanufactured engine?". Was it professionally installed? YES, it makes a difference. An exchange engine is always dubious, but, it was a remanufactured engine it's something you might want to consider... WHY? Remanufactured engines are like new, and then, you have to evaluate the rest of the car, transmission, has it been serviced or had regular maintenance? I imagine it's an automatic transmission since it's a Limited, ---how does the rest of car look and drive? Really depends on what you are looking for this car to do? Transportation car? I wouldn't take it across country. But, as a city car, for the money, it might be a good deal? You have to see it and have it checked out by your independent mechanic. At 200,000 miles, it's a risk depending upon these factors I mentioned. By the way, the price is negotiable, so, if you could get this for $1,500.…. again, please remember that when you are considering a used vehicle, condition is everything......

845

I purchased a 2001 Subie outback for $950.00 with 160000 miles on it it now has 240000 miles on it and I put in a new timing belt ,water pump camshaft seals and new pullies when I got it for around $750.00 and since have put another $1800 for exhaust work and a new fuel pump I think now if i have any more major repairs I would consider getting another vehicle but am satisfy with the subie so far

2,860

"Stupid" implies lack of knowledge; in this case perhaps knowledge of component qualities and corrosion issues. In the rust belt 2000-2004 OBs are all rotting out. If corrosion isn't an issue AND the motor is indeed dry and reasonably (for Subaru) quiet, I'd then evaluate the 4EAT transmission very carefully before proceeding. Secondary systems like tires, brakes, exhaust, wheel bearings, suspension, etc. are all more easily assessed, but do NOT take chances on a dirty or hesitating transmission. Sixteen years is a long time for this hard-working, yet venerable tranny. I'd say that statistically, without seeing the vehicle, that there's a 2- 5% chance of it being a good investment if in the salt belt, and perhaps double that if "cleaner". So you're indeed in dangerous territory EVEN IF IT'S FREE! Thousands of these 1st and 2nd gen OBs are donated to charities and go straight to salvage yards every year...soare you feeling REALLY lucky? Are you a mechanic who knows his/her away Subies? Again, knowledge means a lot here. And FORGET what paper history you get thrown at you; it's condition NOW that matters...ONLY! You're on a tightrope...be careful.

2,860

"away" means "way around".

14,165

I agree with Ernie.... Consider this car ONLY if you live in an area like Southern California.... there's NO RUST issues in SoCal... And, he's right, condition is everything.... It's possible that the transmission is OK, but , only after you drive it will you know. And, look at it this way, if the car only lasted 12 to 18 months, it's a pretty inexpensive acquisition.. The actual annual mileage is within the normal range of 12,000 miles + per year.,. Even if you are not a mechanic, if you have a good independent mechanic at your convenience, it might be a good transportation car.... Again, I would NOT advise you to consider this a road trip car! It really depends on what your needs and constitution is for occasional repairs and maintenance... I wouldn't consider paying more than $2,000 for this vehicle... even with a replacement engine.,.. http://nadaguides.com/Cars/2000/Subaru/Legacy-4-Cyl/Wagon-5D- Outback-Limited-AWD/Values

14,165

It's not uncommon to see cars in LA that are 20 years old or more...you could continue to repair your o!d car and drive as long as you want... The only disadvantage of driving a car that's this old is the outdated safety features that are found on newer vehicles... BUT, the least expensive thing you can do is keep fixing the car.. that's why California cars are so desirable, the bodies can last pretty much forever provided they're not in an accident.....

2,860

Thank you, Grasshopper.

14,165

You're welcome.... I'm sure that you would agree that it's NOT LIKELY that someone would spend more than $5,000 per year every year for car repairs. (not maintenance, all cars require this even if they're new), so no matter what the problems, the least expensive thing you can do is fix an old car.. and drive the wheels off it for service.. Service is the absolute name of the game.. Remember, my old 1995 Honda I had for almost 20 years, 15 years of "no car payments" saves a lot of money... The average car payment now is around $400 per month, that's $4,800 per year for five years, sometimes more.