My 1993 Subaru loyale surges and gets poor mileage

Asked by Oct 26, 2015 at 05:59 PM about the 1993 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

My 1993 Subaru loyale 4wd wagon, automatic surges while I'm driving...
tachometer bumps between 700 rpm and 1000... I've replaced the EGR,
Fuel Filter, Plugs and Wires...A friend thought it may be the coil?

hmm.. does it surge when you're stopped and idling? while driving? Both / neither? Is there a vacuum leak (check hoses to the throttle body and intake piping)? I was thinking Idle air control (if it has it) but when they go bad, they either stick shut and stall or stick open and rev to about 1500-2000+ and then back to idle (and repeat) at a stop anyway. You might look for a loyale forum and ask around there. Do you have an engine light on? If so, there could be a way to check the code (flashes?) and then look up the code, etc.

Mine had a similar issue, after I replaced those things it still misbehaved. I took it in and they replaced the solenoid that goes to the fuel injectors. Which sounds vague, but that's what he said.