how new of an engine/parts can i put in a '91 subaru loyale?

Asked by Jan 06, 2015 at 08:00 PM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

i have a nice little runner that is coming up on 200k miles. looking to give it a little bump up.

I owned two of these cars Shop around for another motor on the forums or my-craigs-finder.com or eBay - an engine swap is the cheapest way to keep this car going without dumping allot of money into upgrades that might last less than 50k miles in the current vehicle. I have had motors swapped on older cars like this and am currently driving 320K mile vehicles with second motors on them. Should be about $500-$750 for a low mileage motor, and $500+ for a mechanic to swap it-you could do it yourself, buy a harbor freight engine hoist, chiltons & Haynes manuals and remember that you have to remove the engine and trans together. spark plugs, distributer cap, rotor under the cap, air filter, oil filter, gear oil top up for the manual transmission, CV joints if they pop when turning-typical tune up stuff. do not spray anything into the motor past the air cleaner, a half can of Seafoam into every other gas tank fill, avoid ethanol blended gas, to avoid getting stranded: fuel filter & fuel pump replacement they last forever if you baby them and don't hotrod them like the young men (going off of your picture) do- I beat my loyales and they were VERY WELL BUILT. -greymouser7