i have a 1991 subaru loyal, that died on me, it's getting plenty of gas to the throttle body, but not letting it through the injector.. got any ideas why?

20

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM about the 1991 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

the car died on me while I was diving, was getting gas and spark but still nothing... not getting gas through the injectors, thought it was plugged, so I took it apart and cleaned it all, nothing still, replaced the throttle positioning sensor and mass air flow sensor. still nothing, changed the throttle body off another running Subaru, still nothing... took the brain out for about 15 minutes and it started after I put it back in, but then a few days later it died again, tried unplugging the brain again. it started again, then died again, and the brain flashes 5 times on then off. (witch means it's good) but still no fuel... and I'm stumped and it's driving me crazy!! someone please share some insight that might help...

78,065

Run til failure occurs then check for injector power, if no power you need to check the power circuit, if you have power then check for injector pulse, if no pulse then Check for an intermittent short or overage amp draw in the injectors or circuits, make sure the ECM grounds are clean and tight, also all engine powers and grounds, if everything checks good then the only thing it could be is the ECM, injector driver inside in unit maybe going bad.

20

not sure if the injector is getting power, tried a different EMC in the car and still nothing...

78,065

The injectors are not powered by the ECM, the ECM controls the negative pulse to the injectors, that is why the ohms must be correct so it won't burn out the injector driver inside the ECM.

20

how do I test the pulse?

78,065

NOID lights are the safest way they just plug into the injector plug, but if you don't have any then an led test light will work, put the clip on a good positive and the probe in the negative of the injector plug and crank the engine if the light flashes then you have an injector pulse signal, so if you also have injector power then if the injector is good and you have fuel pressure then it should inject fuel.

20

all I have is a regular test light will it still work?

78,065

Yes it will but you only need a flash or two, as the ohms are not right with just a regular test light.