what does the idler pulley do on the back belt,

Asked by Nov 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM about the 1990 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

your dates don't go back far enough it is a 1985, and the back belt that runs the idler pulley, has come off, what does this pulley run.

135

This pulley runs your V-groove belt for your AC. If your AC didn't work and you haven't retro fitted it to R-134a then you really don't need this belt, I run my Loyale/GL with one belt that goes around the P/S pump, Altenator, and the Harmonic Balance Pulley. I have notice a freer motor because of not running that back belt (More Horsepower) and I just keep the Front belt tighter than normal because I off road.