Is there something wrong with my 2006 equinox LT or is it just normal noise?

Asked by Sep 30, 2013 at 05:55 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox LT FWD

So me and my wife have a 2006
equinox we bought certified pre
owned with a clean history. We've
had it for a few months and made a
trip from Portland OR to OK a few
weeks ago and it never gave us
trouble. But I've always noticed a
constant humming noise it makes in
the front, along with a slight
continuous vibration. Now it's
nothing severe and nothing really
seems to change the way it sounds
or vibrates. It's almost like I'm driving
with those big truck tires with the
extra tred on them. I don't know if it's
just me being paranoid since I just
spent a grand repairing my other car
with bad ball joints and cv axles.
What I can closely relate the noise to
is a bad wheel bearing but it's not as
severe and the humming is just
enough to annoy you not cause for
alert. Is that just what equinoxes do?
Not drive as smooth as other cars?
Or is it maybe a strut problem or
somthing?

118,185

It could very well be a wheel bearing, I believe that these rigs you have to replace the hub assembly.

95

im having the same problem with mine, I know its not the wheel bearings as I just had those replaces a few months ago. Did you find out what it was?

20

Try replacing the tire with new ones. It happened to me and I just replaced to ALL SEASON Tires.

60

I am having this same problem did you ever figure out what was wrong ? I would really really appreciate finding out how to fix this ... Thank you sooo much...

114,815

It may just be road noise from noisy tires. As tires wear they can get noisy especially if they have cupping or other abnormal wear patterns.

7,225

Its a GM with the 3 bolt hub between the hubs and people needing to rotate their tires front end guy's across the country are feeding their families. love those trucks.

40

The answer is wheel bearing. I have an 06 equinox and I am now about to fix the bearing a 5th time in 2 years. I also have a ball joint going too. Never buying one of these again and I owe too much to trade or sell. Humming that gets louder over time is a bearing. The older equinoxes have a know design flaw causing this but Chevy does nothing.

50

I'm almost four years behind the original post, and about a year since the last comment, but my 05 is doing the same thing. I'm the only one who has ever owned it. Wheel bearings have been replaced. New tires have been put on. Front end is not out of alignment. Gears shift fine. Can the wheel bearings go bad very quickly? Would this have anything to do with a tie rod? At nearly 13 years and 247,000 miles, would it be worth it to get it fixed?

I have the same issue with my vehicle, not to speak out of ignorance but could this be a coolant issue. My equinox has experienced a lot of coolant issues and with these older models could the shaking be a result of the coolant cirulating through the car? My car shakes when I start it and put it in reverse.

I have the same problem. 2006 Equinox AWD. New tires, one new hub, new fluids in front and rear diff. Road noise comes on about 35-40 mph and gets louder with speed. No vibration. Nothing felt in steering. Rear bearings seem okay when I lift and wiggle the tires. I may just replace all the hubs but what's the chance it's the center support bearing on the drive shaft?

Dogdorsey, seriously?? Coolant circulation causing vibration?? You mentioned you get the vibration when you put car in reverse, do you think the coolant changes when car is in reverse??

Had road noise on '06 Equinox AWD until I changed all 4 hubs. Hard to isolate from where the noise came so at $35 each from RockAuto, I did them all. One was obviously shot (had play on vehicle), one was obvious once removed, another was on its way and last one was fine but I replaced anyway. Noise gone. Don't assume it's front only. If you ruled out tires, hubs, and fluid levels, then check center bearing holding up rear drive shaft.

Vibration when you put in reverse is most likely transaxle mount located on drivers side against the rail. It vibrates when you touch metal to metal. Had same issue, changed the mount and all is well.

I also have an 05 equinox n had to change the driver side wheel bearing. N then again about a month later. Make sure u grease the treads n don't just tighten it up. U also have a tourk speck. I did that n ain't had a problem out of it since.