Broken and plugged Catalytic converter fast fix?

Asked by Oct 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM about the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i

Hello everyone.
I have a 2005 Subaru Legaycy.

The catalytic converter is completely plugged and broken.
No I want to get a new one but unfortunatly I can't even drive the car to the
repair shop, because its shaking and driving unreliable.

Is there any way to  fix it temorary to the point that i can drive at least 10
miles?
Thank you

69,575

Sure, just cut it out, put a straight pipe in if you want but for 10 miles, take it out...

6,395

lol or just cut it out and leave it out for the 10 miles. If you're lucky, it will have a bolted flange on the front of the cat from the downpipe, just unbolt it and take the springs/bolts/nuts off completely. That way it'll leak plenty of air but not be as loud as taking the cat off completely. It will be loud but it should do okay, much better than it is right now. OR just see if the shop will tow you for free/discount since you'll have them do the work. I might add though, if you are capable of taking it out and adding a straight pipe, you might as well buy the CC from rockauto and save a ton of money on the part and labor.

69,575

The cat, all depends where he lives for emissions whether or not he can delete.

6,395

You know, I skimmed your first answer and agreed but wanted to add to it. For some reason, I read your first post as "put a pipe in for 10 miles or just cut it out". My apologies for misunderstanding. But to be clear, I disagree with making long term CC replacement with open pipe. Emissions matter whether you get tested for it or not. I don't recommend deleting/gutting/faking a cat just to pass a visual inspection. I know people do it. The goal here is to stop choking the engine and get it 10 miles to the shop. 10 miles open pipe isn't going to hurt, as you suggested. I also recommended a tow which is better all around. Anyway, that's where I stand and I'm not trolling or pointing fingers. Kind regards,

69,575

Don't really know what you are getting at, The guy just needed a way to get his car to the shop to have the catalytic converter replaced. I was not implying or saying to put a straight pipe in for permanent fix or altering the original cat. I just answer the questions as I see them. I totally agree with your first answer and thought we were on the same page. I actually like your answer better, by just loosening up the cat at the flange. Also I know I am hard to understand at times, & a little rough on people when they don't get something threw their heads, so just bear with my post at times, I am trying to learn how to communicate better, Thanks

6,395

I think we're good Rowe ;)