2003 Subaru Legacy Special Edition Wagon

55

Asked by Sep 19, 2015 at 07:26 PM about the 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon

AWD, Auto Trans with sports shift, sunroof and moon roof/ front/rear defroster, a/c, heated driver and passage seats, side view mirror defroster, car color is cashmere, black leather seats, wood accents on dash, rear seat 60/40 split seats 3 adults comfortably, or can fold rear seat down completely for more storage. I love this car, It handled like a dream. The problem is this: my husband decided to change the transmission fluid, even though the Subaru manual specifically said to have the trans fluid changed at a Subaru Service dept.
So, long story short....My trans is shot and most likely the catalytic converter as well.  The body isn't perfect, the interior is fine. I am the second owner of the car. It was a repo from the original owner. What is the trade-in value of my 2003 Legacy Special Edition Wagon with all the bells and whistles, less a working transmission and catalytic converter?

6,855

That's a tough question and one I'm not qualified to answer. I'm not quite sure why changing the fluid would ruin the trans though (wrong fluid? wrong level?). Was it "flushed" by a company or just a simple drain and fill? I used TransTune from Seafoam in my 03 that has a sincerely mucked up trans but I still drive it and trust it but I have to watch -how- I drive it. It has no RWD, shift shock and if I don't let it warm up/engage fully it will grind or slam. I don't know the difference between B12 and B13 Legacy's but here is an example of cars you could get transmissions from: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_30/automati c_transmission/at_transmission_assembly/ Click the part # and then click "Usage Information" and it will tell you what that trans will work on. I picked up a trans for my 03 last week from a running T-boned 04 Forester and hope it works out. You can also check out www.car-part.com for transmissions and seeing if maybe they'd offer a warranty if they did the work for you. When you find what you are looking for - I would ask to see the car, etc. Look for wrecked cars - not normal looking cars (engine/trans issue most likely) and go from there. It sounds like you really like the car and IMO it might be worth considering finding another trans for it. OTOH, you could call around to dealers or CarMax but they will most likely not give you what you deserve. Best of luck and keep me posted.

6,855

I'm also kind of curious.. Can you ask him which yellow dipstick he used.. drivers side or passenger side? Ask him to show you if he's not sure.

55

Hi walth, Wow and thank you. My husband is currently watching the Eagles game at his brothers. I'll ask him when he gets home. We were going to look into replacing the trans. You've provided a wealth of info. I really do love my Subaru. Knowing my husband, he'll probably want to respond to the dipstick question. Thanks again, tpmerc