99 Subaru Outback overheating

15

Asked by Oct 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

My car overheated quite badlly a year ago. I had driven a long way, high speed, with
AC on, and then let it idle in a parking lot for 10+ minutes. Very hot day, it was a recipe
for disaster. I had to have it towed back home. My mechanic found that the radiator was
full of rust and sludge and he replaced it. However, the car has seemed to run hotter
ever since. I should disclose that I live in Florida and the conditions are always hot.
Now, a year later, my car temp rises when I am driving, with AC on, in the afternoons.
Especially if I am at a traffic light or idling too long in the school pick-up line. I see that
there is steam coming from a radiator in between the main radiator and the front grille.
What is that part? It is rusty and I can see the steam coming from one corner. Is there
some sort of compound radiator system?

65,755

No,there is only the radiator,it may be a hose leak,or drain plug leak due to the heat pressure on the radiator,my advice would be to put a new thermostat in it,and make sure the radiator fan,s are working right,and last but not least,would be water pump.

15

That has all been done and was done before i wrote the message above, but thank you. The second 'radiator' is actually the air conditioner, and it was leaking a little. Our mechanic put some sort of 'stop-leak' liquid into it, which 1. caused my father to have a CORONARY and 2. seems to have fixed the problem. I've been able to drive it under the conditions listed above without overheating. I know it is probably, at best, a temporary fix.