1999 legacy outback won't run now

Asked by Feb 27, 2014 at 02:49 AM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

after head gasket replacement on my 1999 outback, it ran fine for 20 or so minutes, then
threw a code and shut off. now  i cant get it to run at all. i have a check engine light, and
the left cooling fan runs even with the key off. when i turn the key on, i get a tran filter
light? or something. could this be due to the security system? please help. i just bought
this car for my daughter and she can't drive it. thanks! steve

223,565

Who did the gasket replacement? Take it back to them to check their work. Might have been a sensor not connected or something not installed correctly.

i did the replacement. i would think that if something was not connected correctly or not at all, or a failed sensor, it wouldn't have run at all. i read something about doing a hard reset on the ecm. could this be the issue?

2,945

When you say it won't start, will it turn over? Check the ECU for trouble codes, if you have a crank position sensor error or something it may not start. Double check the plugs for the crank and cam position sensors, especially if you pulled the intake manifold from the short block.

Thanks Jeff. Yes, it turns over fine. It was running fine, then gave a fault, #3 injector low. No other codes. It ran for a few more minutes, then just shut off. It won't even fire now. Haven't done anything else to it yet. Tomorrow I'll have the time. Still getting the cel with key off and left side cooling fan runs constantly. Any other ideas?

2,945

No problem. If after double checking all the connections you find that there was nothing to resolve, I'd probably start over with checking to make sure you have fuel and spark. I know it's rudimentary, but an issue like that is odd.

If no spark or fuel, would this point to the ECM being bad? This is my first Subaru.

2,945

No spark or fuel would likely point to either the coil pack for spark or the fuel pump for fuel. I'd consider the ECU to be a last resort, as they rarely have issues.

Hey, guys. Thanks so much for your help. The problem turned out to be with the mechanic. I didn't get one of the connectors plugged in all the way on the rear of the engine. I was reconnecting those four, and got side tracked. Then, forgot to complete the task. Once I figured it out, the car is running awesome. Thanks again for your help, but you can't fix stupid. I take the blame. Steve

2,945

Glad we could help! I had something similar happen to me when putting an engine in which is why I recommended a double check of the connectors first. Experience tends to be the best teacher. I'm glad it wasn't anything more you had to replace!

10

Hi, I wasn't wondering if anyone could help me on my 1999 legacy outback 2.5 Auto with 181,000 miles on it. I have check engine light on, I had a guy scanned it. He said I had crankshaft sensor position code PO 335 and also another code for transmission Gear 1. The runs great but sometimes, I have the transmission shifting hard and late to shift. Every time that happens and to stop the car, put in parking and shift to D & N and back to D, then drives great again. Anyone could tell me if crankshaft sensor may be related to transmission. I wonder why the transmission drive fine but sometimes it does the down shift hard as well as late shifting. ( not all the time) Thank you. Reggie

2,945

I'm not sure how they could be related, but I'd clean and then replace the crank sensor if cleaning doesn't solve it, then go from there.

hey I have the exact same problem Steve had but all my connections are good. My engine temp needle is stuck on high. I flick it back down but when I crank the engine again it goes back to high. I bought this car with a blown engine so I dropped the EJ22 in it from a 97 outback sport. It fired up but then it cut off after two minutes and the drivers side radiator fan started running and the check engine light stays illuminated for a little while even after I remove the key. I've triple and quadruple checked my connections but I can't seem to figure this one out.

I figured it out! When I unplug the throttle body connector the car will run for a little while before cutting off. The original EJ25 in the outback had an EGR valve. the EJ22 did not. I guess I'll just slap an intake with EGR in the car and see how it goes... I had to drill and tap a hole on the back of the cylinder head to screw in the pipe that connects the exhaust with the EGR valve on the intake manifold. Now it runs like a dream.