Why is my subaru still overheating

Gus_hunter
80

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM about the 1999 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr 30th Anniversary AWD Sedan

I have a 99 subaru legacy 2.5 gt and its been overheating lately... I changed out the
radiator bc it was leaking, then changed out the thermostat, only to find out there was a
leak in one of the small coolant hoes on the engine mount... Fix that, now theres no leak
but it still keeps overheating... I know about the common overhead gasket subarus have,
but i'm pretty sure thats not the issue or i would see signs of coolant in my oil. Out of
ideas, so all suggestions are welcome.

What did/does the waterpump look like? deteriorated? the coolant rough and discolored? sounds to me like the veins on the waterpump have gone weak~

replace all coolant hoses with stainless steel braided silicone (aircraft fuel line) custom indestructable lines~>>>summitracing.com is one source~

do you have a shroeder valve for belching the air out? some cars. at the highest point in the cooling loop~

Gus_hunter
80

I have not got a chance to take out the water pump yet... The coolant does not look discolorated, its all new coolant i just filled it with...

Gus_hunter
80

Also, after puting the engine parts n wires back together to replace the small leaking hoes, the car is idling at a lower rpm and jerking at 3k rpm when it switch cylinders... Then the at oil temp light started flashing, could that have anything to do with that? Im so stressed out with this: (

I'd take a measurement of the Idle air control or the TPS throttle position sensor, be sure they are connected properly...if vacuum operated replace with silicone hoses~

thought perhaps there was an ambient air temp sensor, but there is an environmental sensor>>>>still trying to understand what the ECU wants...a diagnostic check will reveal codes and we won't seem so foolish then.<<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y71rC74RtG0

Chris Mahoney
90

i had a 2.5 in my lagacy outback and it was a blown headgasket all my collent would back up in the resv tank an over flowed turnd out to be a headgasket issues and i just went ahead and did a 2.2 swap with no complants

Anthony_60
910

You have probably got an airlock in your heater element. This mimics all the symptoms of a head gasket leak. Water has to flow through the heater element to bypass the thermostat and make it open up...See my full explanation and solution here: - http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t17159_ds614293

James Urtekar
30

Bleed the air out of the system, run the car, it will overheat again; bleed again. Repeat till it stops overheating. Other than that do a compression test for the head.