How do I get at the parking light switch to test it of change it? 1998 Subaru legacy

Asked by Apr 12, 2016 at 10:32 PM about the 1998 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Wagon

I have no rear running lights. Someone thought it might be parking light switch on top of steering wheel area.

5,985

I tried helping a guy one time and it turned out to be his radio ground. I found that very odd. The difference is, his lights stayed ON and yours aren't coming on at all. You'll have to take the surround off the steering column and then unplug the switch and test for continuity while on and off, etc. It could also be a bad contact inside the combination switch on the steering column. And I'd also try grounding the taillights in the back and seeing if they come on and eliminate a bad ground in the back. Do your brake lights work when you hit the pedal?

3,530

Nice try, walth. But what's more likely is a broken wire in the right rear upper harness between the roof and the hatch. Lilnan: remove the rubber insulator, then cut or unwind the simple plastic tape over all the wires and look around...including a few inches up into the roof...for a broken wire (or several!); splice or solder, rewrap and you're good to go. Of course you've checked the bulbs first, correct?

5,985

Yeah I hate electrical gremlins. Not gonna lie about that one bit.

20

I have a similar problem. Mine will come on only if I turn the parking light switch on.

3,530

Karen, that's a different filament you're conflating. Again, check roof/tail harness for wire breakage.

5,985

Karen, if you can't find the correct schematic image, you can buy an electronic manual for your subie on ebay for 5-10 bucks and then download it. I've done it before but just don't talk about it on forums.. I actually need to dig around my 03, one of the license plate lights always cuts out, but if I jar the shroud, it'll come back on.

20

Thanks guys, my mechanic figured it out. He rewired the rear lights and also replaced the unit inside the steering wheel column. Automatic lights work fine now

5,985

Interesting.. Glad it's working. It does make me wonder if it was one or the other and not both. But again, I'm glad it's all good now :)