Flashers come on and off in intervals

Asked by Dec 17, 2009 at 09:30 PM about the 1998 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr GT AWD Sedan

I just recently changed the head gasket on my 1998 2.5L. In the process I pulled the engine which involved
disconnecting nearly every electrical connector, hose, and anything else that needed to get removed.

The first thing I did was relieve the pressure in the fuel system by (as per the Haynes Repair Manual) disconnecting the
electrical connectors underneath the rear seat cushion. This is when I first noticed the flasher lights coming on and
off. I figured it was normal and just continued, assuming that when all was said and done and all connectors back
together, the blinking would cease.

But after reinstalling the engine and reconnecting every single electrical connector I disconnected including the ones
that first triggered it, it still does it. I turn the key on and off start and stop the engine itself. I turn the actual hazard
flashers on and off. Nothing seems to stop it. Is there a way of "reseting" the car?

The lights will come on and blink for some time and then shut off and then after a while turn back on and continue
blinking and the cycle repeats. This happens whether or not the key is in the ignition. The only thing that will stop it is    
disconnecting the battery, which I did.

Sorry for writing a novel, but I thought I would give as much info as possible. I looked through the owners manual,
and the Haynes manual but could not find anything about troubleshooting the system. I have the books so refer to
pages if you have them too and it is of any help.

THANKS!
Preston

20

maybe you already figured this out. My car was doing the same thing.. I was asked to disconnect the battery with key on and leave it for 20-30 min. I am guessing this is like hard reset. Did not work for me. Someone said lock the car and use your remote key to open. To my surprise the blinking stopped. try also the link below. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/my-blinking-parking-lights-wont-turn-off-42380