im getting water in my oil

Asked by Dec 28, 2012 at 05:36 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Sedan FWD

Freaquently checking my oil in my girls car, I recently noticed when I pulled the dip stick, it was a thick, milky-white color, not to be confused with ice cream, but water getting in to the oil, which isn't good, obviously. Is this the begining of a blown head gasket, or could it be a number of things? Im no mechanic, I'd like to know what to look for to determine the exact problem. that would be cool.

If the car is used for a lot of short trips, it could be condensation. Pretty common when temperatures are cold. The engine does not get hot enough to burn off the water. Change the oil and take the car on longer trips once a week. Otherwise it could be a head gasket or lower intake manifold leak depending on the engine.

Need to change the gaskets from top to bottom just did it on my 2001 venture looked like a milk shake in thr oil not good head gaskets blown

The antifreeze is leaking into you oil with makes the milky look and I bet you car may be running hotter or saying something about the coolant

It's most likely a blown head gasket BUT if you're not losing antifreeze it's a crankcase ventilation problem. Could be bad PCV valve or a broken, disconnected, or misrouted vacuum hose. Same thing happend to my Niece's '93mother Corsica. It eas a cracked crankcase ventilation hose. HTH. -Jim

That was supposed to be '93 Corsica.