Battery good, car won't start

130

Asked by Apr 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan FWD

I went to crank my car this morning and nothing happened.  All the electronics come on as well as the lights.  There is no dimming when I try to start it.  I had the battery tested (not even a year old) and it came back reading good.  There is no click when I start it.  Nothing happens.  What should I check?  Thanks.

130

Wow. Feeling a little overwhelmed here. It doesn't turn over.

31,785

is there power 12 volts to the ign wire at the starter when you try and start...it there is replace the starter.........

130

I tested the starter today. It's not that.

5,165

If all your connections are tight to the starter and your battery is good you probably need a tow truck and a good mechanic. It's impossible for us to trouble shoot something like this with no real information.

130

Thanks guys. It was the ignition switch and starter relay. I do have a good mechanic that I can trust. Those seem rare in my area.

140

my daughters 2005 cobalt is doing the same thing. It won't do anything when she tries to turn the key. Battery is new, lights and everything work fine. The car sat for 2 days then for the hell of it we tried starting it and it started right up. The next day she drove it, parked it and then when to start it and the same thing happened. Any ideas?

5,165

Scan it for trouble codes. Check that all grounds are clean and tight and that battery connections are tight. Ignition switches and their associated solenoid and relays can fail. Have those components checked by someone with a good understanding of automotive electrical systems. Troubleshoot first. Then spend money on the repair.

30

Same things happening to my car now, wouldn't turn over last night then around 7:00 this morning it turned over test drove it then it stalled when I put it in reverse again, tried again about 6:30 this afternoon and it turned over 4 times and stayed on 15 minutes each time until I shut the car off. But still don't wanna drive till I know what's up with it, anyone know anything I should check that won't cost me too much right now?

5,165

What trouble codes came up when you scanned it. Scanning is free, or next thing to it.

same thing has happened to me in the past and is now happening to me again when it first happened all I did was let it sit and it fired right up 2 days later been told its the starter relay in cobalts that have an issue and that not much can be done to fix it

5,165

That doesn't sound like advice from a technician. If its the starter relay that's at fault it would simply need to be replaced.

10

Under drivers seat water ate away wire and shorted out

5,165

Dry out your car. Fix the wire and figure out where the water’s coming from. Do you have a sunroof. They are prone to leaking or having the drains get plugged. Also how is the car parked during wet weather. I find if I park mine facing uphill in the rain I end up with water inside. If I park level or downhill it’s fine.

10

I had same problems it was a burnt or loose wire from the ignition in the steering column.

I had the same problem so I checked all the fuses and the only one that was blown was for the cigarette lighter so I replaced it and now it starts fine.

5

Same problem. New starter, new battery, checked the starter relay by swapping in a new one. Don't have a mechanic I trust who does electrical. It was only happening on occasion and restarted 20-40 minutes later, last night it took an hour and forty minutes. Used to be a long time between recurrences, now it's happening every day.

5

No trouble codes, nothing. No lockouts.

5

I found my problem, probably won't help anyone else. Apparently the previous owner mounted a starter kill switch to prevent theft. When he went to sell the car, he removed the switch but not the wiring, and he used cheap aluminum wires. When the wire heated up, the car would not start, and when it comes down, it would.

5

I found my problem, probably won't help anyone else. Apparently the previous owner mounted a starter kill switch to prevent theft. When he went to sell the car, he removed the switch but not the wiring, and he used cheap aluminum wires. When the wire heated up, the car would not start, and when it cooled down, it would. Just had to remove the wire.

5,165

Glad you found it. Messing with the wiring on modern cars is always risky. The electrical system is so sensitive to everything it takes very little to upset it.

Alrighty, I'm having the same issue. Replaced battery and new starter as well. Turned key let it do its cycle then go to start and it just clicks like 3-7 times then stops turn key off remove key then put the key back in repeat with same results just clicking sound then nothing.

5,165

Sounds like a bad ground or power connection somewhere. Double check everything you’ve worked on to make sure you didn’t miss one.

I have a 2009 cobalt no crank no start new battery checked all the fuses any ideas. Not doing anything no clicking can hear fuel pump coming on have power to the starter scratching my head on this one thanks!

5,165

I'd suspect the starter itself if there's power to it and the fuel pump is cycling. Take it off and have it tested before you buy a new one though.

Hello every one I also have a Chevy 2009 cobalt. There is a large fuse next to the wiring that runs at the battery cable,that will cause the engine not to turn on,and the interior light will not come on neither,good luck.

30

I have a 2007 colbalt that will not start. It will turn but never fire. I have checked the fuses, starter, battery, power to the injectore(with a noid light), and I have checked all the wiring I have came across. I had an error code of u0073 that is now gone and in its place I have u0101 and p1682. Any ideas on what to try next?

Mark I have a 2009 cobalt I had the same problem after replacing the battery after going crazy under the rain I have never gave up,doing all the test I found a orange large fuse in the trunk tape to the cables for the battery,I change the fuse and the problem was gone the car started right up.

Check in trunk a large orange fuse is what gave me the problem it set next to the battery black plug,orange fuse.

30

I have checked the fuse going to the battery in the trunk. I have also checked that I have fuel going to the injectors. I do not get a security light at all and my check engine light is on. Still no solution

Check the fuse in the trunk next to battery,or check ignition switch electrical part,also take your vin number and call the dealer talk to a service advisor give them the vin number to see if there any recalls or campaigns for your car.

My father in laws Cobalt had an issue in the engine compartment fuse box. There is a wire in the upper left corner that when wiggled, it would make the car start again. Apparently there is a short there, possibly in the connector.