Battery good, car won't start

50

Asked by Apr 19, 2016 at 02:28 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

I went to crank my car this morning and nothing happened.  All the electronics come on as well as the lights.  There is no dimming when I try to start it.  I had the battery tested (not even a year old) and it came back reading good.  There is no click when I start it.  Nothing happens.  What should I check?  Thanks.

50

Wow. Feeling a little overwhelmed here. It doesn't turn over.

26,515

is there power 12 volts to the ign wire at the starter when you try and start...it there is replace the starter.........

50

I tested the starter today. It's not that.

4,175

If all your connections are tight to the starter and your battery is good you probably need a tow truck and a good mechanic. It's impossible for us to trouble shoot something like this with no real information.

50

Thanks guys. It was the ignition switch and starter relay. I do have a good mechanic that I can trust. Those seem rare in my area.

40

my daughters 2005 cobalt is doing the same thing. It won't do anything when she tries to turn the key. Battery is new, lights and everything work fine. The car sat for 2 days then for the hell of it we tried starting it and it started right up. The next day she drove it, parked it and then when to start it and the same thing happened. Any ideas?

4,175

Scan it for trouble codes. Check that all grounds are clean and tight and that battery connections are tight. Ignition switches and their associated solenoid and relays can fail. Have those components checked by someone with a good understanding of automotive electrical systems. Troubleshoot first. Then spend money on the repair.

Same things happening to my car now, wouldn't turn over last night then around 7:00 this morning it turned over test drove it then it stalled when I put it in reverse again, tried again about 6:30 this afternoon and it turned over 4 times and stayed on 15 minutes each time until I shut the car off. But still don't wanna drive till I know what's up with it, anyone know anything I should check that won't cost me too much right now?

4,175

What trouble codes came up when you scanned it. Scanning is free, or next thing to it.