My 2006 chevy cobalt blew its air conditioning unit and since then i have lost power to battery charging compomant problem came across now dead

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

My car smoked up for 5 minutes After
I started it The air conditioning
compressor unit went out on a couple
days before Now all of a sudden I
have check Charging Unit in vehicle
and now my car is dead on the side of
the road What's going on and what do
I do

69,695

Was there a squealing noise for the 5 minutes while your car was smoken up? If so and should anyway, look to see if there is belt on the alternator, belts run more than one component. If the AC belt is all it runs, the AC, you should be ok to put a belt on for the alternator if missing. If there is only one belt that runs everything, then it gets more involved. Then get a tow & have some one look at it.

3,875

Have it towed in, you're not going to be able to fix it on the side of the road. Sounds like when the compressor failed it took out the serpentine belt that drives all the accessories. You will likely need to replace the compressor and belt in order to get things running again. I would doubt that you will have the option of simply bypassing the compressor and driving without air although I could be wrong. If money is tight you might be able to get away with a used compressor and maybe not recharging the system. Compressors for that car should be plentiful at the auto wreckers. Take it to an independent repair shop, not the dealer. That will also save you a ton of money.

69,695

Agree...