I have no pressure when braking! What is wrong with my car? This Mama needs to have her car for work and her kids. Please help

Asked by Jan 29, 2015 at 12:37 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan FWD

I have an 06 Chevy Cobalt, I started having issues with my brakes sticking. when they got hot, they reacted as if the brakes were engaged at times. I was told to replace the Brake pads, calipers and rotors. then I had no pressure when braking. Helped to pump them, but still had to get the pedal to the floor to stop. At this point I am told to replace master cylinder, did that, no help. So now I have replaced the power brake booster. Yes, we bled the brakes. All four (LF, RF, LR, and RR, along with bench bleeding). I don't know what is wrong with my car! Please someone help me. I'm desperate! This is just so odd to me!

It's odd to me too. It is not the power brake booster if the pedal goes to the floor and you have no brake pressure. Who is doing the work for you? If it is a repair shop take it back to them and tell them to call you when its fixed. In spite of all the bleeding they have done it sounds like air in the system to me. Were the calipers and the master cylinder themselves properly filled and bled when they were installed. Is it maintaining its fluid level? If not look for a leak. And if its a friend, family member or backyard mechanic who possibly doesn't quite know what they are doing (and I mean that kindly) then its time to take it to a proper shop. You've replaced all the components, I'm sure its an installation issue now. Good luck.

It is maintaining the fluid level. My dad is the one doing all the work. He has always worked on cars. He's a sprint car driver. I'm pretty sure my dad is competent enough to handle this. He also bought a brake bleeder. I have been driving it this past few days. I can stop the car, but it feels as if it's the drum brakes in the rear are the only thing engaging now. I am wondering if I may have gotten a bad part. All my parts are under warranty, so I have no problem starting over. At this point what would it hurt? I just don't feel same transporting my kids in it.

My dad also thought that the Brakes weren't bled properly. I have tried looking up new recalls on my car. So far nothing though.

Hi Amanda. I agree your dad is likely knowledgeable and competent enough to do this work, I also agree that you are not totally safe driving this car with a brake problem although there are enough emergency safety features built into the system that a total brake failure is unlikely. There is a proportioning valve in the system that could be directing brake pressure to only the rear brakes. It may have failed or have air trapped in it. Other than that it sounds like you've pretty well replaced everything. A faulty replacement part is extremely unlikely. The master cylinder would be the most likely culprit though. In spite of your dad's best efforts, I can't help thinking that a few dollars spent at a brake shop for a second opinion would be money well spent. As far as recalls go, call any GM dealership and they will look up your VIN number and be able to tell you if there is any outstanding work not yet done on your particular car. Let us know how it all works out.

Thank you for your help, I will keep you posted. This is the first time I am hearing of a proportioning valve. I will have that looked at as well. My dad did tell me to drive the car. I try not to unless I absolutely have to, but he also told me to get rid of my car. Sorry dad, this car is paid off and I am a single mom. There is not extra cash to start making payments on a new car right now.

Glad I could help. Have to agree, a paid off car is worth a lot these days, and there can't be that much wrong with it now that you've replaced all those parts. For the price of a couple of new car payments you will have this one fixed and should be able to enjoy it for a long time to come. They are generally great cars. I'm still inclined to think that a little bit of professional input at this point is likely all that's needed to finish the job.

Im having the same problem with my car . Did you find what the problem was?

I would appreciate some help, I too have replace the master cylinder,brake booster ,rotors,brake calipers and bleed the car over and over again

I will try this with my car than let you know. When I took the master cylinder off there were 2 seals one on the flange and one on the shaft and there was a vacuum release. I believe this is the problem will let you know

I'm having this problem as well. It didn't start until after I replaced both sets of brakes (which seemed odd to me that it wasn't doing it with worn down brakes), the MC holds fluid fine, the brakes just go to the floor even after bleeding them several times. I bought a new MC just haven't installed it yet.