MY FAN DOESN'T COME ON EVEN WHEN MY COOLANT TEMPERATURE REACHES 220 DEGREES. WHAT IS A NORMAL, SAFE COOLANT TEMP. RANGE FOR THIS CAR?

25

Asked by Sep 17, 2007 at 01:20 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN GETTING AS HIGH AS 228 DEGREES, AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES.  IT DOESN'T START OUT HIGH, BUT I DON'T KNOW THE NORMAL RANGE FOR THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE. MY FAN IS NOT COMING ON, EVEN AT 228 DEGREES.

THE CAR WAS BOUGHT USED, BUT IS STILL UNDER DEALER'S WARRANTY.  SHOULD I HAVE IT CHECKED, OR IS IT OK FOR THE TEMP. TO BE THAT HIGH AND NO FAN KICK ON?

43,935

Have it checked. Sounds like either the fan relay or fan control is not operational. Typically there is a high and low speed fan operation, the low usually kicks on around 185, high around 212. Shouldn't get to 230 with no fan at all. Then again your coolant temp sensor may be bad, but even so the fan should kick on.

50

HI all can any one help please ????? i have the same problem with my optra LS 2006 and when i run the air conditionar both fans operate .. i tried to remove the temperature sensor wires the low fan does not work .. what should i do ??? should i change the sensor by the way i have 5 volts on the wire terminals

45

have da fan relay and da thermostat checked out its more than likely those to that are causing it to overheat, and if it was me i would stop driving da car

5

180 degrees-190 get ur radiator nd shit checkd out

14,665

If it is under dealer warranty, take it in ASAP. Your fan relay or sensor may be faulty, OR a fuse is blown. Anything under warranty needs to go back. If you ignore it and the car overheats and causes other problems, the dealer MAY tell you because you did not bring it in in time, you were the cause for the other issues. I bypassed my sensor so the fans on my 69 Corvette runs constantly. It has a highly modified engine so it normally will run hot. If the relay does not kick in, the engine will fry really quick. I don't recommend this on a stock engine, especially if it is under warranty.

30

I have a friend who's a mechanic and he said the normal range for any car is 190-200, which mine usually runs, however it's been getting a lot hotter than normal, my fan works and kicks on at a higher range than what yours do. Mine has only gotten warmer like this when it's been warm out and needs an oil change, which is now. Mine has been getting warm enough that the warning light will come on for a while til it cools down. Does anyone know what's causing that? Also, my friend said if your car runs colder than 190-200 you may want to get it checked out!

i took mine to a mechanic for the same exact thing but he said thats the way the fan circuit is set up

20

Sounds like the fan sensor/relay

30

I didnt know this but apparently mechanics sometimes connect the cooling fan with the ac wires to where if the ac is not turned on neither will your fan turn on. I recently replaced my engine and thats what happened to me. Good thing I searched for answers and found the problem before it overheated my engine again. The fuse, relay or sensor could be the problem too. Fans can be connected directly to your battery for a quick fix...

14,665

Generally the fan will turn on when the A/C is turned on. The fan is set up with a relay switch, and if the sensor shows the coolant getting hot, the fan will also turn on. In my Corvette because of the hot climate, heavy traffic and built engine (More HP = more heat) I elected to have the thermocouple bypassed and they run as soon as the switch is on. Never stop running, both go all the time. If you don't live in snow country, it may not be a bad idea to do the same.

The a/c has a auto shut off so it doesnt blow the unit,once a/c unit is drained oiled an the proper amount of freon is used all relays an fuses checked with no leaks wala on comes fan chevy cobalt run temp is 190 it has a 190 thermostat when it's cooler out it runs 185 on a hot summer day air conditioning on it runs 198 some idiot at the dealer told me it runs at 2:12 what an idiot 190 thermostat can never equal 212 so if this helps turn your fans on best of luck just remember that the AC system has a automatic shutdown when there ain't enough for you on in the system your fans will not come on so it don't blow the compressor on AC

10

Your can check fuse, relay and test motor from fuse box. I found the relay was not making a good connection. Also suspicious of the relay but it test good and is working for now.