Supercharger

55

Asked by Jul 14, 2008 at 11:11 AM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Outback AWD Wagon

Can I supercharge my wagon and make it a power wagon, or Uber wagon if you will? Or should I just stick with a turbo?

14,905

You probably could supercharge your wagon, but it may require more upgrades/updates than just installation. Furthermore, some engines are designed to work with a turbocharger for optimal performance and the computer system is also calibrated for peak performance on a smaller displacement engine.

125

Ive seen a supercharger in action on an early 90s 2.2L Legacy wagon....It was bAdAss, but the guy went through a few sets of pistons before he go it right. Though the sound alone was worth it. :) So yeah, if you like pilling engines and swapping out melted pistons, go for it. I think you can find the guy on Legacy Central.

150

if you want to crack/blow your engine go ahead, but if you wan tsome fun power just do a wrx/sti swap and be done, the outback has a 2.5l and was only intended for naturally aspirated power and not to have forced induction, so if you want to go forced induction swap the engine, check ou tSL_i.net for more info on your car my user name on there is sexystover and i have a 98 outback

5

just do an engine swap, if you get into superchargers then you have to worry about heat. Turbos can also make more poer for the price.

55

Dude the wrx sti is a sweet car but u got to admire the man for suppin a outback up. yes he may blow it but u gotta take chances when u do things like that. i agree with u though the 2.5l is a bit small but he could just increase power by more air intake and adding other things. the supercharger will hyperrev the engine and prob blow it up once u hit third just say bye bye

150

i admire it cus i also own an outback , but the engine was not disgned for forced induction if he wants to go forced induction he can pull the engine and build it with a wrx/sti short block, or he can just do a full wrx/sti swap

10

dont supercharge it. if its got an EJ 25 like the STI which i imagine it does you can get some crazy ass turbos for it if you got the cash that car will be able to have over 400 horse from that same Block you just need money. those motors are full of potential just be carefull with the money you spend it on. be wise.

25

I believe it was RedDevil on nasioc who supercharged his Impreza. Subaru's are built like leggos, so if you want to learn a bit about your car, visit the following sites: LegacyCentral.org Forums.nasioc.com/forums RS25.com Here's a guy trying to make a full kit for a supercharger: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489857 Here's the reddevil thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605625&highlight=reddevil It can be done, but in the end you will get more power and it will be overall easier to simply turbocharge your motor. However, if you want to be the first to supercharge a legacy, then by all means, that would kick ass.

125

There are other, much simpler ways of drawing more power from your Subie. I have moded my Legacy as far as is economically feasible, and with only natural aspiration. Here is a list of things that really worked for me: Wheels & Tires... If you still have the iron rims, get some alloys, they can be quite a bit lighter. Any time you lighten your rotating weight you will improve performance...not only acceleration but turn-in, grip, and breaking. Intake AND Exhaust....allow it to breath a bit freer. My solution was a mid-grade (not the cheep rice action) conical "Rechargeable" air filter, Borla high-performance (turbo style) exhaust manifold, and a high flow muffler of some sort. I also eliminated my catalytic converters, which you can do also if you don't have a DEQ where you live. Just be sure to jimmy rig your 2nd O2 sensor so it doesn't throw a CEL (check engine light). Lightened Flywheel....next time you change your clutch, pop an Act StreetLite flywheel in there. This once again lightens your rotating weight, and make s the engine rev up quick like a motorcycle! Also string for a decent clutch kit, like an Exedy Pro Street. Check out this page: http://powerlabs.org/car.htm

55

THX for all the help guys. I think I may just stick with a turbo or two. But I was also thinking about paint and I was thinking of this paint scheme. Im going to make the top portion electric blue and the lower running boards will be silver or chrome. What do you think?

395

Your car and you're the one driving it. I say do what ever you want