My Lights keep flashing after replacing the battery.

Asked by May 11, 2012 at 09:36 PM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr L AWD Wagon

The head light, black lights, and and dash lights are blinking at intervals and I cannot find the reset button to fix this and my mom has the key fob remote some where. This happened right after replacing the battery and the manual was a bust
Also I think that trim package is right, it is my first car.

If you don't have the key fob try this.....On the driver's side, there is a black box with a small button located either in front of or behind the hood-release lever under the dash. Hold in the button, then insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position. Hold the button down and keep the key in the on position until the car locks click and the lights turn off (20 to 30 seconds). Then release the button and turn off the car. The computer should be reset.

There is no button that we could find, I believe every one with that button has an Out Back, this is not an Out Back. there is a plug in for the computer, but I do not have a plug in

i must say that you need to take it to the subaru dealer to have it reset with the select monitor they should not charge for it we never ever did but some do it is essential i think

take both positive and negative terminals back off the batter. turn the key inside the car to the on position. then reconnect the battery.

Make sure all doors,hood and trunk are closed,lock car with key ,hook battery up, and while lights are flashing unlock driver door with key.lights stop flashing,your good to go.

98 legacy wagon flashers continued with ignition off. Disconnected battery,put key in on position,reconnected battery.flashers stopped.

99 Forester 205K miles. Parking lights mysteriously came on during battery replacement. Audible ticking inside the cabin, lights stayed on with car key out of ignition, toggle button on steering column securely in the "off" position. Found my old key fob, locked and unlocked doors. Lights returned to normal - 8 hrs, so far, so good.

This absolutely worked for my 98 Subaru Legacy Outback! Thank you!