why is my subaru legacy unable to start on a hill unless i go down and come at high speed

Asked by Sep 09, 2016 at 10:41 AM about the 1996 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr Brighton AWD Wagon

my car is manual

940

Sounds like you may need a new clutch. I take it when on a hill the motor is running. Car is in gear. Clutch pedal is up with foot off. The the car will not move forward. If this is the case then I would say that the clutch is slipping badly and needs replaced

19,765

Agreed, this is basically what you are looking at below, I imagine that you have a lot of miles on this car already? A proper clutch job meaning you plan on making the car 100% dependable for another 140+K is the bearing - plate and clutch. The dealers charge between $1200-$1400 roughly $600 ish is parts cost. REALLY depends on how long you want to keep the car.

19,765

You can probably get it done for LESS money with an independent mechanic... make sure they know what they're doing and check out the throw out bearing...

6,505

Why is it assumed that it's a clutch problem when nothing has been said about how the car is running when it's failing to go up a grade???? Menja, Does it rev high and stop accelerating or does it bog and stall? Or something else?

19,765

How about, it's a manual transmission and the car is 20 years old... your comment about revving up high would probably only apply to an automatic unless you are suggesting that she doesn't know how to properly drive a manual transmission? The only other thing would be really low engine compression, but, that would probably cause problems with acceleration generally.. She probably can race up the hill with momentum.... Clutch is probably slipping and not engaging properly on the worn out gears and plates. I wouldn't wait on this, you need an expert evaluation...or your going to ruin further parts.

6,505

mmmmnoooo Mork.. revving up would mean that the clutch is slipping under load. BTW, "UP" already described this scenario. It could be the clutch or it could be a ton of other things. At least you deleted your previous comment about not knowing if it's AT or MT. And I just have to ask Mork.. do you or do you not know how a manual trans works?

19,765

walth- i learned to drive on a manual transmission and had two cars with manual transmissions.... And, Ive had to had clutches, and throw out bearings replaced.. so, yes, I understand the concept...yeah, I had to delete a post after I re-read the original poster's comments about the manual.....and YES, I waa merely in agreement with the first response, why is this a problem?? Finally, I'm DONE with manual transmission cars, they're NOT WORTH having...

6,505

Nice

4,550

Oyoyoy.... Best guess is a worn clutch disc, as no mention of tough pedal from worn pressure plate. Entire parts kits sell for $250, labor 2-4 hrs depending upon skill. Walth's right: best you leave this one alone, Mark.

19,765

Ernie, so how much do you think this total job really is???

6,505

Could be 100 bucks or less.. Or 1200- 1700ish depending on the mechanic. Also still depends on what's wrong.

19,765

$1,700 is too much to spend on a 1996 car... Go ahead and disagree if you want... I'd rather put this towards a much newer vehicle...

6,505

Like taxes? Sounds like a plan

19,765

It's all about choices Walt. How SAFE do you feel in a 20 year old car compared to a modern vehicle with stability control, ABS, side curtain airbags, etc. If you're aim is saving money, hell, you might as well drive a motorcycle or Model A. If you're in an accident, the newer car is going to be safer. Do you put a price on your safety??

6,505

This again? Just cuz it's aged doesn't mean it wasn't a quality car. Just cuz it's new doesn't mean it's a safe car. You want a price on safety? Give your car away and stop driving. Find a new hobby mork...

19,765

Walth- we just simply don't agree... that's it... BUT, you may consider http://bgr.com/2016/01/26/car-crash-test-viral-video/

6,505

I don't think you agree with anyone, do you? And I sincerely don't open your links mork. Thanks but no thanks. Thinking back to your lifesaving back up camera.. Do you drop acid and then go backwards everywhere you go? Sounds thrilling.

19,765

I actually do agree with some people on many issues, it really depends on what it is...