Make slow car fast

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 09:51 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe FWD

I have an 06 cobalt lt coupe(auto trans)...all stock
except a k&n cold air intake....a kid in an eclipse
g3(manual shift) 6 cylinder is wanting to race..I'm
sure I won't win so this is why I'm here, I wanna
make my car faster and beat this kid who won't
stfu. Any suggestions? ...I thought about
reprogramming my car all together but idk...I'm
limited on cash and very angry at this kid

30,125

put a 50-75 nitrous shot kit on it!!!!!

82,055

No cash, no go...

286,365

Street racing is illegal and life is too short to be angry. You drive a Cobalt, which is an economy car, not a race car.

Best Answer Mark helpful

....nitrus shot on my car above like 25 would blow my engine :/ ...I'm just sick of this kid bothering me about my car. There's gotta be something for around 300 $ that I can do that I can't think of that may give me the competitive advantage.....no N2O

11,485

A Ecotec should take more than a 25hp shot of NOS without blowing. We feed 10hp shots to 50cc mini bikes and they sometimes keep their guts where there supposed to be, lol. A $300 tune won't do much. Add a zero, boost and tune.

55

You could think about weight reduction as part of the solution, think about everything in the boot, spare wheel, Jack, tools, the carpet thing and running on 1/4 tank or less. Definitely not an increase in horse power but it tips the power to weight ratio a little bit in your favour and won't cost you a penny.

78,085

Sounds like this other kid has an inferiority complex. Or he's just being nasty and wants to see you ruin your car. If you're interested in racing in general that's fine. If you were my Son or Daughter I'd tell you to spend the $300 towards a car that you can take to the track. Maybe an old Firebird/Camaro, or Mustang, or other sports car. Spend some time and yes money on getting it race ready. Then take this kid up on the offer at the track. Beat his doors off in the quarter mile! The track is a relatively safe controlled environment designed for racing. Public roads and highways are not!! This way you won't risk ruining your daily driver that you need and depend on. If your race car blows up, who cares? Just build it back up again and have some fun. HTH. -Jim

4,855

Lots of good advice here. I'll throw in my two bits worth as well. You're wasting your time trying to make a performance car out of an economy car. Look around for a supercharged SS. They're not plentiful, but there are quite a few out there and they're getting old enough that they're not crazy expensive. They go pretty quick right out of the box and can be upgraded (although not for $300.) If you're lucky you might even find one that's already had a stage 2 or 3 upgrade done to it. I've had one for years and its one of the most fun car I've ever had and its cost me very little money (well except for that little timing chain incident, but that's another story). As for your friend the bully, take him autocross racing. There's probably a group in your area. If you're a better driver than him you can put him in his place safely and you don't need anything special in the way of a car to do it. Plus it's pretty much the most fun you can have in a modern car.