High beam headlights not projecting

Asked by Dec 02, 2015 at 01:50 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe

I have a 2006 Cobalt. When using the high beam lights they do not project
down the road as far as the low beam. They are brighter in the field of view
near the car but not in the distance like I think they should be. Low beams will
shine farther down the road.

73,875

Are you confused as to which is low beam and which is high? Check your owners manual to understand the operation of the high beam switch. If you have it right then maybe the head lights are aimed wrong.

50,665

Are the headlamp lenses yellow and discolored. If so polishing them may help with the light output. Also the lights can be re-aimed, but if your low beams are ok that may not be the solution.

Not confused about which is which. The high beams are definitely brighter, they just don't project like all other vehicles I have ever owned. The lenses are not faded or discolored. The headlight lights have been adjusted according to the manual; You can't adjust the high beams separately.

50,665

Might try some new bulbs, but sounds like that won't help cause it is likely a design issue with the reflector.

4,175

The headlight bulbs do dim with age, plus, there are much better bulbs on the market than the original ones that come with the car. Buy the best aftermarket high performance bulbs you can afford and you will likely notice a huge difference.Take a second look at the lenses. Even if they are not yellowed or hazy, if they are pitted that can significantly affect light output. Mine weren't all that bad and I was surprised at how much brighter they were after I cleaned them up with a headlight refinishing kit.