I have a 2006 cobalt that the engine check light comes on.

25

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 04:17 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Coupe

Had two different mechanics say the catalytic converter needs replaced. I replaced both times and the light still stays on. I went to a Chevy delership the third time and they diagnosed it and wrote a work order of what needs to be changed. I replaced what they said needs replaced which were the spark plugs, Ign coil module and fuel filter. After about 100 miles the engine check light came back on. I am lost on the cause any help would be appreciated.

1,235

I actually have a '07 Cobalt, and have the same issue the engine light likes to stay on. I have had it checked many times, replaced a few items and nothing did the trick. Finally went to a private garage and asked them about it, they said that it has something to do with the way the car was built. I believe he said it was either the catalytic converter or the transmission which wasn't properly responding to the computer. I've gotten both checked out, both passed... it's still on now after 110,000 miles.

61,275

What trouble codes are you getting?

25

P0717 ISS circuit low input

61,275

From what I just read on another forum this trouble code has to do with the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission. Apparently it is sending information to the computer that the car is moving slower than it really is. I'm not real familiar with transmission problems but I hope this points you in the right direction. HTH. -Jim

85

@jesse how are u passing inspection cause everything i do the stupid light wont go off and my inspection is due at the end of the month

61,275

Jraupp, what trouble code(s) do you have? There are many things that can turn on your check engine light. Anything from a loose or missing gas cap to a major engine failure can turn on the check engine light. Have your computer scanned and post the trouble code(s) on a new question thread. We'll be happy to try and help. - Jim

20

p0171 bank one

61,275

P0171 is system running too lean. Usually this is caused by a vacuum leak, faulty mass air flow (MAF) sensor, or an exhaust leak that's ahead of the upstream oxygen sensor. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
60

change the intake manifold gasket...problem solved gurenteed lol