Why is my 2006 Chevy Cobalt Stalling at red lights??

Asked by Becki302 Aug 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe FWD

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe (automatic) with about 64,000 miles on it. The past few months it seems like everything is starting to break on it. Rear defroster stopped working, drivers window crank broke, front speakers blew, key starter is always locking up and my air bag light is always going off (this was recalled but the dealerships refuse to fix it for me.)

Now over the past 2 or 3 weeks my car has starting stalling when I am stopped at a redlight. This is almost always about 5 minutes after I start driving and has been happening at the same stop lights in the morning on my way to work. I don't know anything about cars but when my cars decides to turn off on me randomly at a busy intersection I am going to be a bit worried. Does anyone know what this issue could be? Is this going to cost a lot to fix? At this point I am considering getting a new car as I am scared everything is going to start crapping out on me and cost me an arm and a leg. I appreciate any advice!

3,415

it sounds like the timing may have jumped a tooth put a strobe on it and check the marks

105

Might be a ignition control module. This will cause a car to stall for no reason.

6,425

Hello Becki302, Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your vehicle. Unfortunately, you're having multiple issues. Because I am not a Certified Mechanic, I am unable to diagnose what's happening. I would recommend getting your vehicle in to your local Chevy dealership to have them diagnose. Also, if you would like to private message me at vanessa_evans@gmexpert.com I would be glad to contact the the dealership who refused to do the airbag recall work on your vehicle. If so, please include the last 8-digits of your VIN# and your full name, address and a brief description of what happened. Have a good night! Vanessa GM Customer Service

I have the same car with almost the exact same problems, And its very scary when you start to go and the car dies. I temporarily fixed it by making sure the map sensor was all the way pushed in. it lasted about a month. also dont buy cheap gas it makes it worse. so far in my searching for an answer i have figured out it must be the idle air control valve, i will try cleaning it if possible to see if it helps first before replacing it. good luck -------- chevygurl

YOUR THROTLE SCENSOR ON THE GAS PETAL IT WON' T SHOW ON COMPUTOR CHECK TILL THE ENGIN LIGHT COMES ON