Coolant temp- 10 degrees Farenheit hotter than normal

Asked by Dec 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe FWD

Purchased my car in April. I lived in the city but drove 40 miles to work daily. The coolant temp maintained 189, and occasionally hit 194 when in the city stop and go.

Now that it's winter I noticed all of a sudden that my temp is hitting 199 on averaged, but fluxuates back to 192 intermittently.

It doesn't go any higher than an occasional blip to 201.

Is this a potential problem? I've had my thrmostat go out in previous cars and it would just overheat, and the heater would only blow cold. Changed it and it was fixed. Could the thermostat coil be starting to give out I wonder? My heat still works fine though.

I don't think its any thing to worry too much about. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't do anything crazy Now I have trouble with that sometimes, see I dont have a block heater in my car and when it hits -30 to -40 below, it the antifreeze isnt great it will start to freeze and the engine will run hot until it melts and starts circulating right.

im having the same problem, but worse. i own a 2007 chevy cobalt ls coupe. in traffic, my car goes up to 220 degrees, even when im not moving, and once i start to drive, it goes down. if im not moving, the fan kicks on at 220 degrees. i dont think this is normal. i have taken it to the dealership. the first time, they said it had the wrong type of coolant in it, it was supposed to be red, but i dont think that matters. they charged me for it. next day, im driving in the city in traffic and all of a sudden it went up again to 220 degrees, so now it is the second time i take it to the dealership, i wonder what theyll say this anyone having problems like this too with their chevy cobalt?

My 08 cobalt is running a little worm. Average 185 to 201 when stopped up to 205 some say that's in range to be safe,but this car should run around185 consistently problems can be thermostat,air in the system water pump . If thermostat is replaced and problem still accures more than likley air is the coulprate. Several tricks to blessing the system but a colent service shop is your best bet.