Car overheats. Themostat changed but still overheats

Asked by Mar 30, 2015 at 07:58 PM about the 1993 Subaru Legacy 4 Dr LS Sedan

It just started overheating I didn't have any heat in the car and don't see no leaks but
water streaming and boiling out ! So I Changed thermostat and it still heating up when i
drive it if i put it in neutral it cools down right away? I took heater hose off can't get any
water or pressure out of it . Could it be water pump can't see no leaks ?

Yes,i think your water pump is bad,if no leaks,

John Carson

Your thermostat is in correctly? Some can be placed in upside down. If you get NO pressure in the hose leading away from the water pump, is it even getting water? Just by putting it in neutral should not start the water pump flowing again. perhaps less revs allows the thermostat to let water flow and cool the engine. I'd really bet on the water pump though. Can you feel the water hose leading into the radiator? is it hot and can you feel water flowing? If you open the radiator cap before starting the car, watch the radiator and see if there is water movement. If not there is a blockage or pump failure. A 20+ year old vehicle? Is the radiator good?