Door Panels on a 1992 Conv. Corvette

Asked by Jun 23, 2014 at 09:33 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I just purchased a 1992 Conv. this would be my third Vette, I noticed tonight that the drivers door panel has a black insert where the armrest is, and the passenager side has the tan color which is the color of the seats and carpet.

58,965

Sounds like one of the door panels has been replaced. Perhaps the whole door. Possibly due to a collision. I'd pull the black insert panel and check the color of the door behind it. Also look for signs of repair to the door shell. Run a carfax or other vehicle history report and see if an accident report pops up. Be aware that before 1994 these reports are spotty. Example, the accident that I had on October 31, 1986 does not show up on my '86 Chevy C- 10's carfax report. Neither does when I traded it in 3 years later. HTH. -Jim

11,825

I had a great answer, but clicked on you car to look at it, and lost my answer. Check the door hinges to see if they are factory paint and if they have been marked as if the door has been pulled. Look under neath for signs of repair or patching or repaint. It is a convertible and subject to the weather more than a coupe. The driver also sits on the left side so it gets more use than the right. So it just may have worn out. The door panel may have been from a "Pick your part" type business or junk yard find. If you know who the owner was, ask him about it. If the car tuns straight, handles good, doesn't rattle or is hard to handle on rough roads, don't worry about it. If the door was damage on a side collision, and the door skin was replaced, normally the interior door panel is used. Also check the frame under neath to see if there are any additional welds or painting. What happens if you discover it was in an accident? Make sure the alignment is good on all four wheels, and if so, get a good nights sleep, take the cars top down and go for a very nice back road drive and enjoy the heck out of it. Nice car also.

3,465

Suzette, this is correct. I have a 92 coupe with torch red interior and sport seats. The passenger door is red, with a bit of black from the dash to the power window switch. The driver door is red with the entire arm rest being black. Is this what you mean, apart from your interior being beige of course. You can check out interior pictures of similar corvettes for sale on this website to confirm, but this is normal. Cheers.

58,965

It's normal to have different color inserts on each door, Sparky? Black on one and tan on the other? Never heard of that before. -Jim

11,825

Why don't you two get together and swap inserts that way each will have matching color inserts. There is a spray for interiors that you may look at. I'm not sure how good it is or matches factory colors, but it would really be a cheap temp fix until you can find or order matching inserts. I agree with Js08016.

3,465

You guys are hilarious. An engineer I am not, but I think they were aiming for a cockpit similarity, with the black console on the right of the driver, and the armrest on the left. I have no idea why they made the passenger door conventional. It is GM, maybe they ran out of black passenger armrests!

11,825

I was born the first half of the last century, raised in the mid west on a farm of parents that made it through the depression. Nothing was thrown away, and when we butchered, my dad said everything is used, even the squeal is recorded for radio. Common sense was a learned trait, and I agree, why would they make the left side one color, and the other to match the interior. My 69 Corvette was an end of the year run, and I'll tell you, I had parts from 67, 68, 69, and the new year production run, 1970. It was a bear to get the right replacement parts. But they sold the car. I still have it, even though it's nowhere the Johnny Cash song type car. Rebuilding an over 40 year old car, everything is almost replaced. Do you like the crushed car I saw last month at the Corvette Museum? Couldn't tell if the door inserts matched.

Thanks everyone I did some more checking this evening and I found that it is correct. That makes me feel much better, I did check under the car tonight NOTHING out of the ordinary on the frame it all looks straight, thank God.

58,965

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know! Now go out and enjoy it!! -Jim

3,465

If I may ask, what were the other years you owned Suzette?

Well one was a 1969 427/390 4-speed, Maroon with a white conv. top. the other one was a 1971 327 4-speed White.

11,825

I think I found either a typo or you did and engine swap in the 71. In 1969, Chevrolet put 350 CI small blocks in the production Corvettes. The last Corvette production car to have a 327 CI engine was the 1968. By the way, why is the Corvette sharing a garage with a Mustang? The 69 looks very good.

3,465

Wow. Regardless of engine, those must have been lots of grins to row through the gears! The C3's are my hands-down faves since childhood. After waiting too long, I chose my '92 for the airbag, 6 speed, and excellent condition. At 47K, it's just getting warmed up. Wishing you many happy miles.