Overheating engine

Asked by Jun 27, 2013 at 03:34 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe RWD

I have a 1991 Corvette that runs in the red zone. I took out the thermostat It still runs hot . I drained the radiator and installed new antifreeze. I didn't open the bleeder valves. All the hoses are hot. now there is a boiling sound coming from where you put in the antifreeze in. what am I doing wrong

If it hit the red zone you may have already caused damage, ie head gaskets, head warpage. I suspect that the radiator is restricted internally or full of grud in the fins so the air can't flow through it, also have seen the water pump impellers so badly corroded that they just quit circulating coolant. It is essential that you get all of the air out of the cooling system during a refill you need to open the bleeders to do that. A 91 needs a thermostat for the engine to run properly, run what is recommended or the computer won't put the system into closed loop resulting in a check engine light and poor performance.

It could be that your radiator is leaking or that it needs to be replaced. My vette would run in the red zone after stopping would cool down, then again red zone. Found there was a radiator leak and it was a brand new one too. Mark was right but first should have checked radiator. My thermastat & pump were fine but once you drive in red zone, more problems occur. Hope this helps some... Katie ;)

check radiator cap. most aftermarket don't work like they should. maybe replace radiator and cap. a lot of the time the cap just doesn't seal after the radiator is a few years old.