1999 EJ22 Impreza wont start

Asked by Mar 20, 2016 at 02:42 AM about the 1999 Subaru Impreza 2 Dr L AWD Coupe

I bought a 1999 Impreza with the EJ22 motor. Had to do the timing and rebuild the heads as it had 13 bent rods. Got it up and running and was able to drive it for about 100 miles. After that time it developed a real harsh reving/idle pattern and was undrivable. Luckily it threw two codes po325 and po336. po325 is for the crankshaft position sensor and the po336 is for the knox sensor. After replacing both of these and replacing a dead battery the car won't even act like its going to start. Just silence except for the dinging telling me my keys are in the car. Can't figure out why or where to begin with the troubleshooting. Was hoping someone had some idea of where to start looking.

6,910

Do you mean that it won't even crank? And the battery is new? Could the motor be bound up from breaking something internally? I would hope the rebuild was successful.... If it cranks but won't start check the usual fuel and ignition stuff. Remove the left front timing cover to ensure you didn't pop the new belt? Need more info, but I don't know why anyone would put that much effort into an old 2.2 Imp, as they got MUCH better after 2002. Good luck, but protect your wallet.

Yeah I get nothing. No lights on the dash, no headlights. I removed the timing belt cover and it didn't seem to pop off or anything and the timing was rechecked again.

6,910

No sash lights, eh? Check main fuse in case new battery accidentally installed backwards, taking out the master link. I've seen it!

Checked the battery connections and they are all really clean and clamped down tight. Started getting into the fuse box that is located inside the engine compartment on the drivers side and found one of the fuses blown. The fuse diagram that is put on the top of the fuse box says this is a 15A fuse that goes to DR-Lock. Guessing door locks. When I replaced the fuse I had my regular lights in the dash turning off and on like a blinker would. And one of the blinkers was turning off and on as well. Car still didn't start. Got down into the fuse box located inside under the steering wheel and found no blown fuses. I did find an after market switch that runs up and into some box just below the steering column with some wires. That box looks rather OEM haven't figured out what it is yet though. I am guessing this could be my problem but still looking.

I have a similar problem with my 1991 legacy. I turn the key and somtimes it starts but somtimes it just dings and won't crank or even try. I think it has somthing to do with the wire to the starter. I'm currently investing.

6,910

Perhaps. Clean the battery contacts by removing and scouring them well. The brass OE are gragile and suspect to cracking open. Then check the ground strap to the motor. If system is charged and starting is either strong or no-go, then remove starter solenoid contacts and replace. A tell-tale hint is if the motor starts normally after whacking the starter with a small hammer.