i have a 98 subaru impreza. for some reason when i accelerate at high way speeds my steering wheel not only shakes but if im holding the steering wheel straight it feels like the car still wants to turn and then some times wants to go straight and not turn. what would be the problem?

10

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 03:19 PM about the 1998 Subaru Impreza 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

think that you've got a bad motor mount or two~

10

that doesnt sound fixable

7,135

motor mounts are not bad to replace but that dosn't sound right for a subaru, I'd expect it to be more likely a tie rod, I have had the same issue with my car and I looked at my tierods and they were shot, replaced them and the car drives smooth as butter no more shakes and no more wandering down the road.

Best Answer Mark helpful

these are simply hunks of rubber, smoggered onto the steel at both ends, this rubber fatigues and wears out, if they are smarty-pants one mount encapusulates the other to create a "fail safe" condition, so when it lets loose, still kinda works okay...ain't no mystery here, tie rods are a wear item and could expect to replace them at about 50-60 thousand...used to be able to squirt grease thru a zerk fitting, but they ain't got them no more...feel like drilling and putting a zerk from yesteryear from my toolbox on there so it cannot wear out~

"permanently sealed"...sure, moving parts=failure no duckin' it~

the dogbone has rubber ends~

5

sounds more like alignment or maybe a suspension issue to me. Motor mounts shouldn't make it feel like the car wants to wander. Check the power steering fluid and then have a look at the tires, if they are not worn evenly across the width of the tire see about an alignment and have them check your shocks while they're at it.

Agree Scott, spoke of zerk fittings and the lack of them causing this whole magilla~