What Should I pay for a 96 Impreza?

Asked by Nov 29, 2012 at 08:34 PM about the 1996 Subaru Impreza 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

Okay, so my friend has a white 96 Impreza that has been sitting for quite some time. We started it up one day
and it sounded great but the battery died and he still hasn't replace it. I believe that it is mechanically sound.
The main thing I'm concerned about is that the body has a MAJOR dent in it on the left rear quarter panel and
some damage on the left rear door. The hubcaps are missing and so is a working battery. I've looked up the
KBB value of it and that is right at 1000. But you can't enter every single detail on that site. What do you guys
believe I should pay? Oh yeah, and I'll have to replace the gear selector.

455

unfortunately sounds like a bit of a parts car a large dent on a quarter panel is very hard to repair (and costly probably well over $1000 done right) you would basically have to leave it and same with the door... a battery is no big deal tell your friend you will only buy it with a new battery so he should buy it for you. the biggest issue is the gear selector i don't exactly how involved a process that is but i don't think its an easy/cheap fix... Basically theres probably a reason the car is sitting in a backyard...

325

if it isnt a battery, and has been sitting in the backyard for awhile, the solenoids on the alternator could be corroded or shot, dents on quarter panels are a pain... especially for wagons... i had quuarter panel damage on my subie wrx wagon, i did all the repairs and bodywork myself and paid about 150 bucks (including a handheld rotary sander)... the gear selector could be a cheap fix if its in need of oil or lubricant... whats the issue with the gear selector?