Air Conditioner

30

Asked by Apr 30, 2009 at 09:55 PM about the 1994 Subaru Impreza 4 Dr L Sedan

I know that my impreza has some switch for the ac, but i can't find the switch, any idea where it is?  Please help!! it is HOT!!!

8,325

Hmm... don't think I've been in one that old, but if memory serves the heating/cooling control has two nobs, two levers and a button... correct? A hot-cold dial on the left A mode select on the right Top lever selects between recirculated air and fresh air Lever below that is fan speed and if it has AC there is a button below that. Does that describe what's in your car? Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in.

30

Actually no. I has the fan on the far left in the middle is the temperature control and then to the right are options for ac, max ac, vent, heater etc. I was told that there is some switch i am guessing under the hood something about HVAC that is used to help mileage and engine life by "deactivating" the ac when it's not going to be used.

8,325

Ahh okay, I know what you're asking for now, but I don't know the answer. Unfortunately I don't know the car well enough.

8,325

Dunno where it is, but I found an ECU pinout list for a 96 legacy, that hopefully applies to yours... 31 A/C Relay Control Blue/Orange Stripe 60 A/C Switch Brown/Yellow Stripe It's the same for a 98 Impreza except the colors are brown and brown/white stripe respectively. It seems like Subaru used those two pin for all the 90s pin out I'm seeing, but I can't find anything back before 96, which means this may only apply to OBD2 vehicles.

30

Ok, well i will have to have to look into that but i don't know what that stripe stuff means. Sorry, not exactly car smart, so where would i look for relays and blue/orange stipes then?

30

I will post the information i have and maybe you can make something of it. Can't hurt: PURPOSE The a/c switch signal is used by the ECU to compensate for the added engine load the air conditioning compressor causes. LOCATION The switch is located in the HVAC control panel.

30

This might help too, I dunno. When the A/C switch and fan switch are turned ON, the A/C relay activates. The compressor and F.I.C.D. are turned on, and then the main and sub fans also operate. Blower relay operates to direct the air flowrate determined by FAN switch position. The thermo amplifier activates to stop the compressor clutch, F.I.C.D., and main and sub fans. When the "High-Low" pressure switch operates, the compressor clutch and F.I.C.D. stop but the main and sub fans are operating. When the fan control switch operates, both the main and sub fans operate 2. THERMO CONTROL AMPLIFIER The thermo control amplifier disconnects the magnet clutch circuit to prevent the evaporator from becoming frosted when the temperature of the evaporator fin drops close to "2 °C (36 °F) ". As the evaporator is cooled, the thermistor (located on the evaporator fin) interrupts the "base" current of the amplifier. This in turn deenergizes the A/C relay coil, which in turn disconnects the magnet clutch circuit. 3. ACCELERATION CUT SYSTEM The A/C switch turns the A/C system on or off. The on-off operation of the switch is transmitted to the ECU. The A/C cut relay breaks the current flow to the compressor, through the use of an output signal from the ECU, for a certain period of time when a "full-throttle" signal (emitted from the throttle sensor) enters the ECU while the compressor is operating. This prevents the degradation of acceleration performance and stabilizes the main fuse box located on the left side of the engine compartment. 4. F.I.C.D. The F.I.C.D. increases engine idle speed when the compressor is turned ON. The Engine Control unit activates the by-pass air control solenoid valve in advance to control the amount of by-pass air flowing through the throttle body in relation to the signal emitted from the A/C switch so that the proper idle speed specified for each engine load is achieved. 5. FAN CONTROL The main fan and sub fan are switched between two stages, Hi and Low, according to the operating modes shown in the table.

25

its on the tempreture button just push it in the light will come on then its sorted