Coolant loss.

Asked by Oct 03, 2012 at 07:01 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe RWD

The past couple of days my low coolant light has been coming on when the temp gets to about 210 degrees. I checked and added about 1/2 gallon of coolant everyday since monday, but I cannot see or feel any leaks. I tightened all hose clamps I can see, checked hoses, radiator, felt around water pump, looked under car and I do not see or feel any coolant leaks. Any suggestions ?

If you don't see any leaks, you might be burning it. A half a gallon is a significant amount to be loosing and not seeing any evidence.

Do you have any white smoke out the exhaust, or smell any coolant? When you check for leaks, is it right after you shut the car down? That's the best time to look.

Yes there is some white smoke out exhaust.

Blown head gaskets or cracked head is most likely the case then. Especially if you're seeing white smoke out the tailpipe. The best way to find out is to pull the spark plugs and see which ones are wet/ smell like coolant. That'll be the side with the blown gasket or warped head. Best idea is to pull both sides and have them checked. On V8's as is the case with V6's, you always want to do both sides at the same time. This way the compression is always the same.

Thanks Kurt, funny thing is I have appointment tomorrow because service engine light is on and code P0300 multiple misfire gave 8 possiblities and now its going to be more costly I am sure.

Does that have coil packs? It might be that the coil packs (or even just 1) will cause that same issue. I also know that fuel injectors are cause of misfires. If you run crap gas like Arco AM/PM, it'll foul your injectors. Either that or electrically the one or several injectors aren't opening properly.