engine oil level

Asked by Apr 16, 2014 at 05:03 AM about the 1993 Subaru Impreza 4 Dr L AWD Sedan

hi guys,,i have been noticing that when i do engine oil change on my car, after driving
around for a couple of days/ a month,,,the oil level goes down almost completely empty
and its not that i drive long distances but when i top up just a bit it shoots up even beyond
the full level. it leaves me wondering. is this normal? because there is no sign of leakage
underneath. my car is a subaru GC8 with a 2.5L forester engine.kindly assist

When are you checking the oil level? I always check with engine off and cool on a level surface.

Jeff Smith

Almost empty on the dip stick, or almost empty in the oil pan? Either way, it sounds like you're probably burning a little oil if you've been checking it in consistent conditions.

thanks Jeff...its almost empty on the dip stick

Jeff Smith

It seems that if anything, you're not checking and filling it in consistent conditions. The oil level in the pan will be highest when the car is cold, so check and fill it accordingly then. If you fill it when it's warm, oil is still draining down into the pan, so when you come back later and check it the level can raise even higher than you read on the dip stick when filling it. Try for a bit more consistency and let us know what's going on.

funny thing is i have been checking it when the engine has totally cooled down and the dipstick shows its empty, so when i top up abit, drive around and check again, i find the level up and above full. is this issue anything to worry about?,,,could there be any internal leakages?.....because i cannot see any leakage underneath

Having the same issue in our 2007 Impreza 2.5i. We suspect we are burning some oil, but the oil readings seem to be inconsistent. My wife and I have each over filled the engine with oil cause it reads low and then after adding a little it reads too high. I was the most recent one to over fill it and the car had been sitting for 2 days and when I checked the oil it was over F so I drained a quart or less from the pan and now I'm getting absolutely no oil on the dip stick. I'm baffled!