noise when turning

Asked by Mar 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM about the 2000 Subaru Forester L

both to the left and right. Seems the worst or more noticeable when really slow , sharp turns like
parking or circling the block. The noise seems almost to not be coming from the wheels but some airy
hiss from beyond the steering wheel.
Also sometimes the ABS seems to go on and make the pedal tweak. I am neither knowledgeable nor
mechanically inclined, alas. I'll try one guess. Power-steeering? Seems to me that anybody taking it for
2 second spin would know what is wrong. As we have gotten totally screwed by dishonest mechanics in
the past. I am weary.
We know we need new tires and plan to get that done soon.

We live in the Bronx, NY 10463, but are very close to 87N. Any guesses and recommendations for trust-
worthy person to do the job?

Thanks for your time and have a nice day,
Olivier

165

it can be a few things. your power steering pump, wheel studs are striped or your power steering gear box. do you have any slop in your steering wheel?

99,145

Check the power steering fluid. Add air to the tires. Have one of your mechanically knowledgeable friends/relative drive the car or take a ride.

thanks for prompt answer. Do you mean if there s slack or play between the motion of wheel and wheels? the answer is yes. As I am seeing your words. It seems like a pump is the closest thing that could produce the sound. Is it complicated and costly to fix? Does it typically get done in conjunction with other required maintenance? Thanks again

99,145

First step is to see what the power steering fluid level is. If it's low, it will make noise. Low fluid means that it is leaking somewhere.

165

yes and they run about $40 dollars at napa autozone and advanced auto and at a garage to buy it and get installed about $150-$250