What hardware do I need?

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 10:33 PM about the 2003 Subaru Baja AWD

I am installing a tow hitch on my 2003 Subaru Baja, and need some info.  The hardware supplied for attaching the hitch to the bumper bar is  1/2"x13, which does not mate with the nut welded onto the top of the bar.  I'm sure this is a metric nut, but haven't been able to find out what thread it is.  Can you help a guy out?
Dave

237,625

Purchase a few different thread size bolts the same length from your local hardware store and see which one works and take the others back. Without taking the nut off to take to the store with you, your out of luck.

I hope it's not poor form to answer one's own question, but here goes. The hitch I'm trying to install is manufactured by Curt, so I contacted them on the outside chance that they might actually know what the thread of the welded nut is. I actually got a timely response from one of their tech people who informed me that the nuts are M12x1.75. [So if you know its M12x1.75 why do you ship 1/2x13? Whatever!] Off to the hardware store I go. Yeah, good luck finding an M12x1.75x7" in Rochester, NY!!! Five inches was the longest, and that's going to two of the best stocked hardware stores around here. For a moment I thought about all-thread which they actually had in that thread but it was too soft of a steel. OK, long story short. Since I had the proper length and strength bolts already I decided to investigate retapping the nuts to 1/2x13. You'd need at least a 5" long tap to go from below, so I wound up going from above. It requires removing the tailgate so it can be place in the bed [14 bolts for the interior panel, 4 hinge bolts, 2 support cable bolts], and then pop out the 6 plugs holding down the bumper cover located on the topside near the tailgate. The bumper cover can now be pulled back enough to allow access to the two hitch mount nuts. Carefully retap with a 1/2x13 using some lubricant. That's all there is to it! I haven't actually finished the installation yet due to some shipping damage to my hitch, but when I get the replacement I plan to use some threadlocker on the bolts for some added insurance since the nuts were retapped. The tap felt quite solid during the tapping, so going without the threadlocker would proabably be fine, but that's how I roll! Hope this helps someone. Dave