my gage seems correct, but as im running engine sitting or driving the vehicle runs out of gas at half tank ?

Asked by Aug 17, 2015 at 08:22 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe RWD

Ive replaced pump in tank and all looks clean and normal, same outcome, drain down to 1/4 tank and wont start until I fill tank  ?? ( ) ( Eric )

You'll need to replace the sending unit (tank float assembly) for the dash gauge. This was common on GMs from that time period. My '93 Caprice did the same thing as does my '94 Fleetwood. HTH. -Jim

Thanks for getting back to me Jim, If I read ur answer correct the tank float is what tells the gauge what to read, but the gauge seems correct. the gauge shows half a tank and there is a half of a tank, but the cars seems like it runs out of gas and wont start back up until I fill the tank all the way up.

Yes, that's correct. The float tells the gauge on the dash what to read. Ok so what I'm thinking now is the pickup tube for the pump is too short. It should be at the bottom of the gas tank or there's a leak in the pickup tube between the bottom of the tank and the pump. When this happens do you lose fuel pressure? One other remote possibility is the vent valve for the EVAP system is stuck closed. This will create a vacuum in the gas tank and prevent fuel from being pumped out of the tank. This condition is rare but it has happened. To check for this remove the gas cap and try to start it. Snce your Corvette is a '93 model it's OBD I and a bad vent valve won't trigger the check engine or service engine soon light. HTH. - Jim

If it starts after removing the cap, either clean or replace the vent valve, or don't say I told you to do this, but some have used a very small drill bit and put a hole in the gas cap for ventilation. It may screw up the pressure necessary in the tank to work the pump so ask before drilling. I know there will be some responses to this. Then again, that is old school thinking.