Can anyone tell me why I would have water in my oil, and why it looks like spoiled chocolate milk? And what I need to do to fix it.

10

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 12:20 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

101,415

That typically means you have a blown head gasket.

10

How can I fix it?

101,415

Have it tested to make sure that's the issue. But I am all most positive it will be. The head will have to be removed and the gasket replaced. If you are not mechanically inclined then I would find a good shop to do this repair for you.

56,625

A faulty crankcase ventilation system can cause this as well. Check the PCV valve and crankcase ventilation hoses. If they're damaged, misrouted, or clogged, clean or replace them. Look for white milky "goop" in the air cleaner assembly. This is a sure sign of a malfunctioning crankcase ventilation system. If it does turn out to be the head gasket you're looking at upwards of $1500.00 to fix it. In my opinion, on a 16 year old vehicle, I wouldn't bother. Use the money and buy a new(er) vehicle. You'll be better off in the long run. HTH. -Jim

16,195

also intake gasket is a possibility. A known problem to happen on these vehicles. I would just get something else. Once you get water in your oil your engine is on borrowed time. It may last years, weeks, days, or hours. Get something else, dont dump to much $$$ into it