1990 C4 Corvette starter heat issue

Asked by Feb 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM about the 1990 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible RWD

I have read multiple articles regarding to heat issue with the starter. My C4
will not start after running it for a while. If I wait 20 minutes or so, it will start.
I am contemplating replacing the starter and a heat shield. There are also
some mini starters on the market, but not sure if thats an alternative. I
suspect that this will correct the problem, but how long before I have the
issue again by replacing  a full size starter. It's a 5.7L engine.

6,245

Heat shield for the exhaust..you're right...trying to source that for you but the link is always "404" on me~ do a google search, locate one who's source is close to you (so you don't hafta wait)~ wish I could be of more help...too bad they still do not make "crank" starters that need NO battery...thems was the days~

82,075

The new starter should last until its worn out. Heat is affecting your starter probably because the bushings are worn out. The heat shield is a good idea for the solenoid.

Best Answer Mark helpful
225

i had a 1989 trans am gta,this was a constant problem,i used to carry a hammer with me and hit the starter when it would not start and this would help sometimes.i think the problem with your starter is that once the coils get hot and you stop the car,you cant start it until it cools down.i have never had this problem on any of my vettes.it is best to just buy a new starter,but dont buy it from auto zone or some cheap parts store.

6,245

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=heat+shield+for+corvette

Starters are cheap.buy a new one.very easy to replace.I would recommend this.you should look to put a heat shield on if you can however there's not much room.

225

let us know what you have done,how is your car

6,245

ditto~

19,475

Look into wrapping your exhaust system with the heat wraps that is sold in nearly every top car parts store. You wrap it around the exhaust pipes. Wrapping the starter will hold in the heat that needs to be removed. Getting it too hot will melt the coating on the coils and create a constant problem. Buying rebuilt starters means you're getting unknown old issues that have not been fixed or replaced in the rebuild shops. built starters have old parts that are already started deteriorating. There also is a high output starter on the market that is smaller than the original starter so it sets back farther from the heart sources.

Since my battery was dead, I decided to replace it first. When disconnecting the battery, I noticed both positive and negative bolts were loose, and the bolt holes were stripped???. I replace a side mount battery with a top mount. Drove the car for about 45 minutes, pulled it into the garage, turned it off, and restarted without an issue. I don't know if the starter is still an issue or not. I may look into replacing it anyway, when I have some additional funds. Also I may heat wrap the exhaust to keep as much heat away from the starter as possible. Thanks for everyones help. I sincerely appreciate it.

6,245

...see, it can be a HAPPY day....everyday!~