I have no heat in the front. Rear heat works. Replaced blend door actuator and flushed radiator. Still no heat. Any ideas?

70

Asked by Nov 11, 2014 at 07:51 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Base Minivan

20,180

When is the last time you changed your cabin filter?

70

Never thought of that.....could that be the cause?

20,180

Yes it could be that simple. Does the front blower motor work? Could also be a plugged heater core but start with something simple. Cabin filter, then the blower motor then heater core.

70

Front blower works fine...just blows cold air! I'll try the cabin filter. No sure where the heater core is located.

20,180

If the blower motor works it probably isn't going to be the cabin filter. I would still check it and make sure it's clean. The heater core is behind the glove box in the fire wall. Before you look at that possibility, check you coolant level if it's low you won't have any heat. If that is the case you now have the problem of looking for a coolant leak. The thermostat could be bad as well.

70

I get rear heat, so I was thinking the thermostat is ok. Is this wrong?

20,180

Does the temp gauge work? If it does and its up near 185/195 area then thermostat is ok. You don't by chance live in Illinois do you?

70

Temp gauge working. I live in Northwest Indiana. Why?

20,180

I'm looking at buying an 06 Montana on Craigslist for my wife and it has the same problem. I thought if it was yours that would be REALLY a weird coincidence.

20,180

Are you sure you installed the blend doror correctly? It was plugged in all the way? Did you check the fuse box? You might have blown a fuse when the door motor died?

70

That is funny! I will check the blend door again along with the fuse. I appreciate all of your help so far. This is my first attempt at repairing my car myself.

20,180

Yea for a few minutes there I was like "Woah this is a lil freeky", LOL. No problem on the help. I'm a HUGE Pontiac nut/ car nut and enjoy helping people with car stuff if I can. When you're down under there checking the blend door and it's connections, use a test light on the plug and see if you have current to the plug. You might have to have somebody change the settings on the heater controls while you're under the dash. If you have current then plug in the blend door and listen for it to move. It could be a bad unit out of the box. It does happen, sometimes.

70

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.....

20,180

no problem, good luck

60

I have the same problem with my Montana....mine is a 2007. I have lots of rear heat, but just about freeze to death on long winter drives. My husband was told about unhooking the battery terminals and give it a few seconds, then before hooking them back up touch them together - will this work?

20

I have the same problem but my van is a 2000 i changed the heater core and checked fuse it still not workn flushed coolant i dont kno where else to look...

60

In my van....it took a long time to find out the problem....I went through 2 winters with it - had to use an electric heater to get the windshield clean before I could go anywhere. Anyway, the problem was finally found - it was a cracked T something (some sort of pipe). Now I have heat - Yahoo!!!

Same problem in 2006 Montana SV6 but it's because front blower doesn't run on any speed setting. On rare occasion when engine warms up front blower will start on its own or after key turned off & back on. Rear blower works fine & blows plenty of heat but not enuff on cold winter days to keep windshield clear. Any ideas?

No heat in my 2006 Montana SV6 because front blower doesn't run on any speed setting. On rare occasion when engine warms up front blower will start on its own or after key turned off & back on. Rear blower works fine & blows plenty of heat but not enuff on cold winter days to keep windshield clear. Any ideas?

On our 07 Montana, the blend door motor seems fine and can here it run for a short "pulse" going between minor steps between cold/hot -left/right. Flushed core.. and all the fun stuff. Would get heat up front periodically wildly changing heat settings. Remember the short "pulse". Now, go fully cold/hot and the motor keeps running. Pull the motor again, and whatever the insert is called that mates the motor to the door through the housing. It is keyed to fit right one way. Spin that, does the flap feel like it moves, or does it slip? Now try again and keep the pressure on... mine slips as it seems the flap is stripped or cracked. Default setting seems to be closed thus no heat. It appears the motor control on consol is faulty and constantly running stripped/broke the blend door. Put a fat Philips screwdriver in and carefully open if the blend door is not too splayed. Have heat. Now to find a way to keep it open... motor resistance seemed to be the trick.. but since it is not there :) I believe if I "fixed" the blend door, it would break again if I don't figure how to make the motor stop rather than keep running. I think epoxy in the blend door to get the "mate" to not spin may work... but it will break if the motor does not stop at the door limit. So if u have this issue, then carefull, it looks to be a big job to remove dash to replace the blend door only to have a new one stripped again if the motor issue is not addressed.