my 1994 corvette will stall and the check engine light comes on. the car will also jerk violently at high speed and the check engine light comes on.

chevusa1
0

Asked by Sep 04, 2012 at 08:58 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have replaced the computer, spark plugs fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition. the car will run beautiful and then without warning the car will stall if idling or buck violenlly and then the check enging light comes on. the does not happen all the time and sometimes can go days without a problem. can someone help me?

29,555

Sounds like a fuel cut type of issue. Hook up a fuel pressure guage and check fuel pressure when it happens.

chevusa1
0

tested the pressure and it was ok I was thinking the distributor what do you think?

29,555

The pressure tested ok when it happens or did it test ok in the garage or drive way.if no codes are coming up that doesn't mean its not a sensor. Sensors have ranges that they have to stay in. For example the throttle position sensor could go bad and kill the car but its still giving a reading within range a code won't trip. Does the check engine light come on while its running or only when it dies. If the key is on and the engine is off for whatever reason then the check engine light will be on because the engine isn't running. If its on while the engine is running then there will be a code. If the fuel pressure is ok when the car stalls or starts bucking then it may be a spark issue somewhere. Since its an OBD1 you won't get a ton of info from the vehicle and testing the ignition system while its running is nearly impossible. Figuring a problem like this without having it here is another hurdle. I don't know of any common fix for a problem like this and unless its happening from the time you start the vehicle it will be difficult to track down. I don't want to tell you to change a part without it being bad and wasting time and money. An engine needs 4 things to run air and fuel in a proper mixture is one and two, 3 that mix has to be compressed and 4 it has to be combusted. Whether its as basic as a lawn mower or advanced as a million dollar car it all comes down to those four. A mechanic finds out what its not getting and why and then they will know what's not working. Fuel pumps can put out proper pressure but there is another job and that's volume. A bad pump canstill produce plenty of test pressure but not enough volume to keep that pressure while driving. That's why the pressure gauge has to be hooked up while it happens.

Chris Manzanilla
85

i would check all of your ignition cables