I would like to know or have someone to suggest troubleshooting guides, my car won't start. I checked the battery, cables and everything looks good.When i try to put the ignition to the start position the cars light equipment shuts off and the car wont turn over,please HELP

55

Asked by Sep 23, 2014 at 08:42 AM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

Car Won't start, Battery and cables have been checked, When attempting to put the key
in start position everything in side goes dark and car doesn't start.HELP

235

Double check again your simpthoms tells me that the battery its dead or you got bad connection on the battery cables

55

Thanks for your response, yes the cables have been checked along withn the battery. all of the inside components work but as soon as i try to put the key to the start position all goes out.

35,645

When you return the key to the running position from the startling position, do all the electrical components come back on? And if so, are the on full power or dim? Can you try to start the car with the headlights on and see what happens?

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Yes. I have full power thru out the car. it just wont start.

55

Lights,windows sunroof ,seats, radio everything works its weird.

35,645

Try this. Turn the key to the start position and.move the gear shift lever to neutral. See if that helps. If that,by chance works, it's the neutral cut off switch thats bad. If not, then look at the starter itself. (I got a feelingthat is problem)

55

Should the stater make a sound or not when ingaged? Plus i found that there is a re-call for the ignition switch, could that be somethiung to look at?

35,645

The starter may or may not make a sound. A "click" at most. And yes. It's possible that the switch is the culprit. But from what I understand the switch will suddenly cut power to the engine. Call your local Friendly G.M. dealer and see what they say. But should it be the starter think twice before you have them replace it.$$$$&$!!!!

55

Thank you all for your hospitality in answering my questions it was very helpful,thank you.

55

Nope nothing with moving the gear to neutral..

35,645

Well it was worth a shot. The last thing I can think of is to have someone turn the key and at the same time tap the starter with a hammer. If that should work take it to a mechanic and swap out the starter.

55

This is all very weird! I unhooked the battery and let it sit for a little while then reconnected it and bam its back to normal. How weird is this!!!!! I can not thank you enough for all your advice!

35,645

That's great news! Glad to hear it.