My 2006 pontiac grand prix gxp is sputtering. First started around 50 mph and now more often. And also when i go to accelerate it sputters. Any help from anyone?

Asked by Mar 04, 2013 at 11:52 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

Any trouble codes? Does the exhaust smell especially black? Did you pull a sparkplug and note the condition, was it oily? white? black? full 0' coolant? this would be the key to how your engine is performing. Have you had a new air filter, perhaps you should, codes would tell us trouble with sensors and miscalculations in combustion.

My check engine light has yet to come on but i did go to auto zone and plug it up anyway and the only thing that cAme up was HTD CATALYST N/A: SEC AIR SYSTEM: A/C REFRIG MON: EGR SYSTEM MON N/A: BO240 PCM TRACTION NOT ALLOWED: U1017 LOST COMMUNICATION WITH ENGINE CONTROLS

10,655

The last code U1017 is quite concerning, especially given the preceeding codes. Inspect the wiring harness to ensure it is securely connected to the ECM and not damaged. You may be experiencing a ECM failure.

Okay thanks i will

Which is all located where if u know??

well it's got to be in the engine compartment...scratch that, could be ANYwhere, you might want to note the delicacy of the electronics 'board this goodie, disconnect the battery staic discharge yourself before handling, but sounded to me like a (keep using this example, as if) a big boots hitchhiker started kickin up inside the dash with his big boots disconnecting one or more of the connectors partially....well at any rate, you may notice the connectors on this guy, any one of them could be disturbed-ain't like the olde days-

Okay i will check when i get off work

So if its the ecm does that mean i have to replace my entire computer?

No. connections to it. You'll replace the thing to find it not working still. I've had this exact problem and the mechanics were all scratching their heads and spendin' all kindza time and money, by the third unit someone had the brilliant idea to clean the ground to the chassis and to the engine and the terminals themselves, and with that renewed GOOD power, the thing came to life NO MONEY spent!

okay, yeah...no returns on electricals...so we had a couple of spare ECMs layin around. What shop couldn't use them?

So this can be done myself?

Where are u from

So its that hard to get to?

Just wondering if u could just call me to discuss my problem.

yes. population 44.000, make it a point to learn everyone's names. it is 2 1/2 hours north of the San Francisco Bay area. My wife works in Berkeley, so we've got an apartment for her to spend half the time there and half the time in her secret garden. I-5 is the main deal thru California, take 20 west from Williams, gorgeus California...this place is everything a person thought it should be. Clearlake realty prices are 1/10th those of the bay area, where the weather is perfect, Clearlake has more of a desert temperature swing and isn't always jogging weather like it is in San Francisco. Where are you talkin' from, if I might ask?

What is your number? you could click on bob_nueske then email section to keep privacy.

since you apparently cannot find the 'email this guy' section under bob_nueske, I'd be happy to speak to bhobbs or whoever want to talk the number is 1-707-260-5195 damn, I'm NOT shy....please~ actually named Jay- mixed up -never phone m'self.

Does anyone have the location of it

location of the ECM, yes on the firewall, could be either side of the firewall, but it's gotta be near to the engine. I posted a Delco one if that's what you have. Just use your eyeballs.

map sensor:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCglmiY8yc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_5IYjnbNqQ